Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exotic Fishing..Sea of Cortez
I lived in southern Arizona for about 20 years...before moving back to Utah.  During that time my wife and I spent a lot of time across the border...in Mexico...fishing and diving in the Sea of Cortez (Gulf of California). It was wonderful in the days before cartels and rampant development.  Miles of uncrowded beaches and rocky shorelines, with no surf and lots of fish in the clear waters.  We fished it a lot from float tubes, from shore and from small boats. 

It was not uncommon to catch well over a hundred fish in a morning of fishing...over 200 in a full day...with at least 25 or 30 species being represented.  I guess I really didn't fully realize just how good we had it...until it was no longer available to us.  These days I'm not sure I would even want to chance it down there.

I wrote the attached piece as part of a chapter in my book on Tubing and Tooning.  So a lot of the references are float tube oriented.  But I have substituted "small craft" in a lot of places.

For all fellow Utah BFTers who are "Jonesing" for some good fishing...but don't wanna hit the ice...

Messages In This Thread
Exotic Fishing..Sea of Cortez - by TubeDude - 12-21-2020, 10:24 PM
RE: Exotic Fishing..Sea of Cortez - by TubeDude - 12-22-2020, 03:06 AM
RE: Exotic Fishing..Sea of Cortez - by TubeDude - 12-22-2020, 01:05 PM
RE: Exotic Fishing..Sea of Cortez - by TubeDude - 12-24-2020, 02:34 PM
RE: Exotic Fishing..Sea of Cortez - by Therapist - 12-24-2020, 07:14 PM
RE: Exotic Fishing..Sea of Cortez - by TubeDude - 12-24-2020, 08:00 PM