Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pan fish vs trout ice fishing
The answer is "yes"..........sometimes. I like having more options.

A friend using a regular glow-chartreuse 1.5" tube jig dusted me one night on crappies at Pineview. On the other hand, there are lots of times I've done the reverse, catching bluegill and perch on tiny lures like nuclear ants or ratfinkees at Mantua, while my friend was getting skunked on a 1/64th oz regular ball-headed jig.

If cost is an issue, hit up some of the starter kits on Ebay and Amazon, like "Fifty best Panfish Pounders!" for $28.00 or something. Early on, I bought one like that and did not regret it.

Just a small hook with bait, under a flasher works, too.

Another good trick is using a larger, regular jig and tying a dropper in above it. You know those super cheap flies you can buy in little bubble packs? Tie one of those to a dropper loop a few inches above a regular jig, add your wax-worm, and fish the bigger jig as an attractant. Jig, ten drop it to the bottom, hold the line tight, and look for nibbles.

You can also just tie on a small Aberdeen hook and add your worm to that. Cut up plastic baits, like tube jigs, with scissors, and make your own little wiggly tails. etc.

Also, stuff like Hali-jigs are really rich for my blood, but any small spoon(home-made or out of the bargain bin) with a swivel and quality hook attached is almost as good.

Welcome to the site, good luck.

Messages In This Thread
Pan fish vs trout ice fishing - by mnbarney13 - 01-30-2021, 12:56 AM
RE: Pan fish vs trout ice fishing - by kentofnsl - 01-30-2021, 01:38 AM
RE: Pan fish vs trout ice fishing - by mnbarney13 - 01-30-2021, 04:19 AM
RE: Pan fish vs trout ice fishing - by fishnate - 01-31-2021, 11:01 PM
RE: Pan fish vs trout ice fishing - by Springbuck1 - 02-09-2021, 08:01 PM