Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sometime you can close your eyes and catch fish
Happy to Curt.
There is an infinite number of soft plastic lure parts that can be fused together to form unique shapes with unique actions. The easiest way is to use a candle flame to slightly melt the ends of each part and then a battery-powered soldering iron to smooth and strengthen the seam. You need a steady hand and a good eye to make sure the parts are in a straight line once melted together.

Fish respond to lures primarily due to lure motion and speed whether off the bottom, near the surface or mid-depth. What that lure does determines how the fish reacts to it. 
Note: lure characteristics are rarely natural nor need be. I'm sure many of you have watched YouTube videos of lures in action that are no way natural yet they catch fish. The latest video I just watched was the tiny child rig for plastic sticks as it was worked straight up and straight and down on the bottom. It had the most unnatural motion I've ever seen yet still a proven rig for bass!

When you catch fish on different designs, it dawns on you that particular designs excel - all due to lure action
The Claw shown above is one you can make yourself and know that it catches different fish species (as shown in the photos).

Another simple but effective design is the bonding together of the bodies of two grubs:
[Image: Uq17S1l.jpg][Image: GYbO79C.jpg][Image: 9zvC6mZ.jpg?1][Image: HZYaNJG.jpg][Image: ytUHw9d.jpg]
Every one of these caught fish - maybe due to the bobble of the fat body when rod twitches are applied. Note the variations of the shapes and colors fused together.  I then found out the lure can be wacky rigged  with a jig head and it caught all kinds of fish:
[Image: tBTsn1D.jpg?1][Image: 55Dm0O2.jpg]

One of my best discoveries was the fusion of a Gary Y. Kut Tail worm to a Kalin grub body:
[Image: DVUkciG.jpg?1]
The action is amazing!
Here is a similar fusion of parts resulting in the same tail-whip action. When worked on a light jig mid-depth, it has that phenomenal action that makes fish go nuts!
[Image: 9XpU0i1.jpg?1]

So, as you can see, action speaks louder when getting fish to attack. The fluttering tips of the Claw, the body bobble of the joined grub bodies and whiptail action of the GY KutTail Worm all catch different species of freshwater fish. Anyone want more ideas, just ask or show me what you got that can be used to fuse shapes into fish catchers. 
 Frank

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sometime you can close your eyes and catch fish - by SenkoSam - 04-12-2021, 01:50 AM