Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cookie's adventure continues at Willard
What a day it was at Willard yesterday. We started out on the dike in our favorite corner. Had cat rigs and wiper rigs out. I witnessed two interesting phenomenon. First, as we sat patiently waiting for the bite, we started noticing a lot of activity very close to shore. Like 4 to 5 feet from shore, sometimes closer. Further investigation showed that cats were charging the shoreline and gorging on the white midges that were hatching. After making some inquiries I learned that, indeed, you can fly fish for catfish. Who knew?! Unfortunately, Cowboy, trying to pack light to get over the top of the dike, only had heavy cat gear. Nothing that I could tempt these crazy cats with. 
I also witnessed what I can only describe as the dance of the Willard navy. Several boats, perfectly synchronized, traveling in a perfect circle, around and around. For hours. I can only guess they were in the spot dubbed "the island"? Those were some dedicated fisherman.   I am just a crazy old lady, but it was very peaceful to sit and watch  Wink For 4 1/2 hours we sat there. Something get bumping my wiper rig, but nothing would commit. I did pull in one nice 24" cat. Also managed to collect and haul out 2 garbage bags full of beer cans.  Angry

Went back in the evening with Buckwheat. Not as many people at the marina as last time and we were able to secure a spot on the fishing dock. We had cat rigs out and one wiper rig, just in case. Also decided since there were several anglers pulling in crappie that I would use some of the trinkets I have acquired from  Pat and do a bit of casting myself. About the 3rd cast I felt a tug and thought I really had something. Turns out, an unlucky angler lost his Ugly Stick rig over the railing and I caught it. Then Cowboy decided to have a go at it and just when he thought he had a strike, a Grebe popped up with his bait! We may not catch the most fish in a day, but we certainly don't get bored  Big Grin The evening netted me another nice cat at 26" and one small one that we didn't even measure. Also ran into a cute couple form BFT, and we had fun sharing fishing stories. This may be our last trip after the big ones until fall, itching to get to the panfish. The wiper still eludes me. I am starting to think the tales of Willard wipers are just that, tales. Maybe next year. Cowboy did a compilation of our last few Willard trips. So here it is. 

https://youtu.be/rz3YO1s-9KA

[Image: 2021-05-13-Willard-Bay.jpg]

[Image: 2021-05-13-Willard-Bay-2.jpg]

[Image: 2021-05-13-Willard-Cookie-s-Catch-of-the-Day.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Cookie's adventure continues at Willard - by CookiePirate - 05-14-2021, 05:29 PM