Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chamberlain Downrigger Releases
(04-14-2022, 07:21 PM)wall3y3 Wrote:
(04-14-2022, 03:46 PM)Bduck Wrote: I have always liked braid but found it does not work as well for trolling on DR's but longlining works fine. I used the yellow offshore releases which worked out for a while. My Walker Downriggers all came with a terminal release (a clincher & release all in one), There is an adjustment screw like the Blacks release or Chamberland has which worked in the same manner with line twists. I did not like this setup as I could not get the right adjustment for release. Mostly they felt to tight and I had to assist in release when a fish got on and sometimes it was hard to get to release. Because of this I would lose fish. Then I started noticing as the adjustment screw was loosened, I started losing the adjustment screws while fishing as they would be to loose and free spin from release. I had to purchase thumb screw replacements but that didn't solve the issue. So I went to the Black's release and been happy with these ever since and using Fluorocarbon line. The one release I did find that worked ok for braid was from Shasta Lures, a red release adjusted using a small screwdriver and line twists. 

This image is the Walker Release, It SUCKS
[Image: Terminatorrelease.jpg]

Based on your post I think it may be possible you were not aware that the chamberlain release has two independent adjustments.  The wing screw adjusts the up pressure (from the rod) and the knurled brass knob adjusts the release pressure (magnet distance).  This is one of the features of the chamberlain that I think sets it apart (the other being the way the stacker disengages the cable and slides to the ball on retrieval).  I set mine so that I can really load up the rods but the release is barely enough to keep my presentation from triggering a false release.
I am very much aware of the way Chamberlains work and have used them, I do like the way they work. For me the expense was too much especially when getting caught up dragging bottom in our mountain lakes. I have lost my share of cable, DR weights along with releases. Black's is working for me which I'll stay with them. Now with the added stick weights for those situations, I have not hung up on bottom situations.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF

Messages In This Thread
Chamberlain Downrigger Releases - by wall3y3 - 04-12-2022, 09:48 PM
RE: Chamberlain Downrigger Releases - by wall3y3 - 04-13-2022, 01:09 AM
RE: Chamberlain Downrigger Releases - by MACMAN - 04-13-2022, 01:56 AM
RE: Chamberlain Downrigger Releases - by dubob - 04-13-2022, 01:46 PM
RE: Chamberlain Downrigger Releases - by wall3y3 - 04-13-2022, 03:18 PM
RE: Chamberlain Downrigger Releases - by dubob - 04-14-2022, 02:18 PM
RE: Chamberlain Downrigger Releases - by Bduck - 04-14-2022, 03:46 PM
RE: Chamberlain Downrigger Releases - by wall3y3 - 04-14-2022, 07:21 PM
RE: Chamberlain Downrigger Releases - by Bduck - 04-15-2022, 12:15 PM