Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beautiful day at Willard........
(07-06-2022, 06:58 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: ......... except for the wind  Dodgy .  

I was figuring that today would be a good day, with hopefully all (or most) the 4th weekenders cleared out.  And my 0815 a.m. arrival at the south marina confirmed that with only 4 other rigs in the lot. 

Got out on the water, lines baited, and drift set about 0840.  Wind was maybe 10-12 mph, but it wasn't too bad, had me drifting between .75 and 1.0 mph, and there were ZERO bugs,  yay !    

Had 2 or 3 hit and bait strips in first 15 minutes.  Then a hard hit and run I was able to get to the net and into the boat for photo op and a quick release.  

I swear, the second I released that kitty, the wind picked up to what I would guess at about close to 20 mph, water was white capping. I was only a short way out from the south marina channel, but wind was blowing from about SSW, pushing me away towards the north.  As the wind didn't seem to be calming, I decided to head for the marina and protected water. 

Sat tied to the dock awhile, but 2 other boats (bigger than me) came in so decided it was time to call it done for the day. 

[Image: 032-6-July-2022.jpg]      [Image: 033.jpg]

Forrest,
Concerning those ‘pop and drop’ hits, have you ever tried a baitfeeder reel?
I use the baitfeeders made by Okuma and they are amazing.
A baitfeeder has a secondary drag that you can fine tune where wind won’t pull line as you drift but when a fish grabs it and runs the fish can’t feel resistance.
You let the fish run and position the bait to swallow and you just simply pick up rod, turn crank a smidgen to lock in normal drag, and then send the hook home.
If you know the reels I am talking about, I will just shut up now.

Messages In This Thread
Beautiful day at Willard........ - by Tin-Can - 07-06-2022, 06:58 PM
RE: Beautiful day at Willard........ - by jjannie - 07-06-2022, 10:18 PM
RE: Beautiful day at Willard........ - by Tin-Can - 07-07-2022, 12:42 AM
RE: Beautiful day at Willard........ - by MrShane - 07-07-2022, 04:27 AM