Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kinston around Dutton and finally Hatch
Southernman and I decided on river fishing since all the lakes are frozen and the ice is getting questionable.

Started the day fishing the new WMA in Kinston canyon while I waited for southernman to arrive. He was running a little late so by the time he showed up I'd already fished every hole and run except about 100 yards of river. Needless to say it was a big waste of time for catching but it looked promising if they ever do something like stock some fish. Southernman arrived and we fished the last couple holes. So far fish 0 and 2 hrs of scouting/fishing.

After that I was ready for something different. I was ready to catch anything so I went to the first place I new I could catch something. The spillway below Otter was the place. There wasn't much for water being released but we found a bunch of fish. It didn't take long before Southernman got the first bite but missed it. We both got a couple small hits but no hook ups yet. I finally had something hit a little better and out comes a 19" brown. What a nice start to a beautiful day fishing. We all caught a bunch more after that but not trout. Everything after that was some 16-18" suckers that were left to feed the crows.

We again left to fish the East fork and get some lunch. After filling our gut and tossing back a few beers we headed down to the river. We fish a couple of the deeper holes between the bridge and the mill with again no luck. Southernman had a long drive home and left after that but I wasn't about to give up yet. I again headed down river and found a couple willing fish. One brown and another bow all about 14". I checked out the new pull off spot and fished that entire section of chained or burned area. This area definetly has potential but again where's all the fish? I left after working that entire area and it didn't suprised me to not see any tracks from other fisherman.

After that I flew out of there thinking about where I could stop for the last few couple hours of daylight. The only place that came to mind was Hatch so I slammed on the gas. While going through John's valley I spotted a herd of deer bedded in the sage. I would of stopped but at 110 mph I wasn't about to slam on the brakes just for some deer. Got to Hatch fairly quick and luckily didn't see any cops.

Hatch was a muddy mess and still had over 2 ft of snow. I didn't get to fish some of my favorite spots but started slamming browns. The biggest 18" down to 12" Caught more fish out of 2 holes then I seen all day. Ya this place might be over fished all year by tourists but as long as I can catch them I'll still stop once or twice when the tourists are gone. I hate fishing this place with all the know-it-all or know-nothing fly fishermen.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Kinston around Dutton and finally Hatch - by hedgesd - 03-11-2004, 05:16 AM