Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steel line trolling rigs
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I want to set up a steel line trolling rig. Biteme, who has done quite a bit of this type of trolling, has given me some really good tips in helping me decide what I need but I'd also like to hear anyone else's ideas that could also help me set up a killer outfit. Here are some of my questions:[/size][/font] [ol] [li][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]There are several different types of fishing wire and cable. American Fishing Wire makes single strand wires from Stainless and Monel that they claim are very kink resistent. Also there are "cables" or mutistrand wires. Which do you prefer and why? Any charcteristics of either worth noting? Is 40# enough or should I go heavier like 60#?[/size][/font][/li] [li][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Once I decide on the type of wire line I want, how much line would someone expect to need? 300ft? 600ft? More? This dictates how big a reel I would expect to need. I've been leaning towards the good, old Penn Senator models. These are tough as nail, proven with no levelwind to saw through but I don't like the low gear ratios. Are there other options others have found work great?[/size][/font][/li] [li][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Rods. Biteme run tungsten carbide guides on his rod.Nothing better for wear but EXPENSIVE! Others have said rollers and roller tips are good enough? What's your take on this? I know standard guides are useless and will saw thru in a season. Also what length and rating for the rod? Is 7" long enough? Too long? 20-40# rating or 30-60#? I heard of guys hauling up trees they snag so backbone can be important.[/size][/font][/li] [li][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Any other tip on equipment and techniques would be appreciated. [/size][/font][/li][/ol]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Thanks to all for your valued opinions.[/size][/font]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Steel line trolling rigs - by BearLakeMack - 03-20-2004, 04:50 PM
Re: [kokeking] Steel line trolling rigs - by Oats - 03-22-2004, 03:53 AM
Re: [Oats] Steel line trolling rigs - by daymere - 03-22-2004, 06:00 PM