Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
any fish in Georgia?
I am beginning to see a pattern....

you are fishing primarily for black bass (larg and small mouths).....

you are taking your day off work to spend it on the lake if it is a nice day.

During my life time fishing, I am only 45. I have fish both great lakes and ponds all the way down to 3 acres. they all had nice fish including the 3 acre pond with a couple 28 inch large mouths. I fished that small pond for 10 years trying to catch one of them big hogs. In those 10 years I managed to get ahold of them only 5 times. Now mind you I was not the only person trying to catch them. there was at least a dozen others. I broke my fishing rod in my attempts one day when I had hold of one. I was fairly inexperienced in handling large game fish of that size at that early age in my life.

I have had the benifit as of late to be able to fish with a frend who had a camera and we dropped it down to the fish and watch as the lures passed in front yet no hits. They just were not bitting no matter what we dropped in front of them.

I am also a trapper. I learned a long time ago from my dad that if you want to catch game no matter what it is you need to learn something about the animal your looking to catch. This rule runs especialy for fish.

On days of my youth I spent countless hours not catching fish. remembering what my dad had said about catching game I decided to set off insearch of finding these fish.

setting my rods aside I began rowing around the lakes, looking at all the things sitting in the water. not moving vary fast, actualy moving rather slowly I peired over the boat more than I rowed.

What I saw changed the way I fished for life. Of the many stories I had heard some I found to be total bunk and others extreamly valuable.
[ul] [li]fish are stupid... [/li] [ul] [li]Bunk. fish learn what they can eat and what they cant eat through trial and error. they hook up on a lure x number of times they no longer will go after it. [/li][/ul] [li]fish have long term memories.[/li] [ul] [li]Bunk after a while of not seeing a spicific lure they will forget all about it. and stike it again.[/li][/ul] [li]fish eat all day[/li] [ul] [li]Bunk, fish feed during times of change of atmopheric preasure. neather at the top nor at the bottom, always on the change.[/li][/ul] [li]the time of day will have more impact on your ability to produce fish[/li] [ul] [li]True, if fishing for the freezer you will want to consentrat on cirtain hours of the day. and most of them are twilight hours. dawn and dusk.[/li][/ul] [li]Weather has a major impact on fishing[/li] [ul] [li]So vary true, There is only one other factor that has a greater impact on fishing than the weather. so pick your days and think like a duck....[Wink][/li][/ul] [li]The moon phases has no baring on fishing [/li] [ul] [li]Bunk Bunk Bunk Bunk Bunk Bunk. once you learn the secreats of the moon phases you can plot your calender for the days when you will produce fish.[/li][/ul] [li]Location Location Location [/li] [ul] [li]knowing where the fish are and when they are there. in essence, knowing when they are going to be there is your bestest tool to hooking up on the big ones. [/li] [li]Many species move around lake all day and have patterns they like to follow. so if you know when they will be passing through and getting there befor they pass will get you in the right place at the right time.[/li][/ul] [li]Bass will hide during hot summer days[/li] [ul] [li]this is true, finding them can prove to be a chalange. and getting them to hit even more of a chalange.[/li] [li]fish dont swet and can get sunburned under water if they dont find shelter from the sun.[/li][/ul] [li]You should have been here yesterday[/li] [ul] [li]this is an understatement to say the least. I cant remember how many times I have missed the bite by a day or even by an hour. I have got there an hour late or left an hour early. I have even missed the bites by a minute, no joke. I have gone out seeing guys hooking up and as soon as I got there they quit and just the opisite when I left when the fish werent hitting and as soon as I packed up and started heading out they would start hitting.[/li][/ul] [li]the majority of people who go fishing dont catch fish[/li] [ul] [li]no truer statement has ever been said. most people go fishing on butifull sunny days, days off work, with out regard to lunar cycles, with little knolage of the art.[/li][/ul][/ul]
There is no wonder to me why a featured pic of a fish in a publication would be a guide or a guided tour, they do have the greatest advantage over you and that is the number of hours spent out on the water and the secreates they have learned about the targeted species. So dont let the thing about guides get to you. they have learned what I have mentioned here and more. there realy is a lot behind fishing and you have to be willing to addapt to fit the bill.

the pro's who fish for compititions have days when they cant produce a 12 inch bass on waters loaded with them.

I think you are being way to hard on your self. "Don't" If is a matter of not having the patients, I understand, that is why so many people rely upon guides to get them on the fish. And a good guide will book during times of good fishing and do other task during the slow peeks and wont waist time and money of their clients.

some times it is good to hire a guide or go with some one who has experience who will be willing to teach you about what it is you are doing and not just setting the hook and putting the pole in your hand to let you reel it in.

So here it is, the greatest secreate to catching fish is being ready to go fishing when the conditions are right. so grab your self a note book and start compiling all the information you can about the day when you are fishing. it dosnt matter weather you are catching or not. just compile it and you will begin to see a pattern.

you can catch fish out side the patterns, the pro's have learnd this by doing their home work. but the best way to keep a pond full of big bass is to put them back after taking a quick picture...[Wink]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
any fish in Georgia? - by DukeOfEarl - 10-01-2004, 08:29 PM
Re: [DukeOfEarl] any fish in Georgia? - by gdn443 - 10-02-2004, 12:03 AM
Re: [gdn443] any fish in Georgia? - by DukeOfEarl - 10-02-2004, 12:39 AM
Re: [DukeOfEarl] any fish in Georgia? - by StriperAddict - 10-04-2004, 11:42 PM
Re: [DukeOfEarl] any fish in Georgia? - by StriperAddict - 10-19-2004, 10:32 PM