Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GPS on Boat
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I used to run an Lowrance LMS350A GPS/sonar combo. I now run an LMS 4800 GPS and separate Lowrance sonar. I also run an addition Lowrance ans (3) 200KHz transducers on various locations on the boat. Heres my observations:[/size][/black][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3][/size][/black][/font] [ul] [li][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]When running both sonar units at the same time, yes you will see interference. I usually have one finder go wacky on the depth readings. Say, its 75 ft the finder may say 286 ft or some screwball number. With this being said, I only run one at a time. You see the same interference with sonar in close proxcimity on the ice.[/size][/black][/font][/li] [li][font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I've never used a GPS with an internal antenna except a hand held. Yes, it will go through a Bimini top. The external antenna is not large. About the size of a softball. Mine is mounted under my t-top and it seems to function perfectly.[/size][/black][/font][/li][/ul]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][black][size 3]I prefer a GPS with full mapping capabilities. I also have the Navionics Western US mapping chip for my 480. The maps are much more detailed than the "standard" map on the stock Lowrance background. Lowrance also offers software, MapCreate, that allows you to creat your own custom maps. You need to have the memory reader and memory chip. You create the maps on your computer and transfer it to the memory chip for you GPS unit.[/size][/black][/font]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
GPS on Boat - by WalleyeWiper - 01-01-2006, 07:35 PM
Re: [WalleyeWiper] GPS on Boat - by BearLakeMack - 01-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Re: [WalleyeWiper] GPS on Boat - by Tarponjim - 01-01-2006, 09:06 PM
Re: [Tarponjim] GPS on Boat - by pinksnapper - 01-02-2006, 08:19 AM
Re: [pinksnapper] GPS on Boat - by Tarponjim - 01-02-2006, 01:58 PM
Re: [WalleyeWiper] GPS on Boat - by Bigcat - 01-02-2006, 02:44 AM