Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
anybody ever use a coleman blackcat or similar heater?
Hey Southernman,

Got some good info for you. I worked in HVAC for 6 years, so I know a little about Carbon Monoxide (CO). Any type of hydrocarbon fuel puts off gases. In theory, with complete combustion, all you get is water and CO2, both safe and non-toxic....however we are at an altitude that does not have the oxygen content for complete combustion of hydrocarbon fuels. Yes the catalytic based heaters (BlackCat and Mr Heater) are more efficient, but if you read the directions they will specifically state that you should not go to sleep with them on. However if you have proper ventilation there is no worry. CO has no affinity for high or low places, it doesn't concentrate in a specific area of an enclosed space, so being down low or up high makes no difference. So, here is what I do, I have a CO detector (you have to modify these to accept a battery....at least I have not seen one that is battery operated...and just lay it in the tent/camper with you. This will keep you safe, and they last a little while on the battery. Better to be safe than wake up dead. If you are using it while awake, your first signs and symptoms of CO problems will be head ache and blurred vision. If this happens, turn the thing off and do not use it again. Someone with acute CO poisoning that requires medical attention will need immediate hyperbaric O2 therapy with possible blood transfusion, as CO binds to the hemoglobin in your blood better than oxygen does. (this I know because I work in an emergency dept). Well I've rambled too much, hope this info will benefit anyone who uses those nice little units. I love mine.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [southernman] anybody ever use a coleman blackcat or similar heater? - by Theekillerbee - 02-20-2003, 08:07 PM