Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TUBING TIME
[cool] Hey, JR, when it comes to fly fishing, there is an unwritten but universal law that says that fly line will always seek the slightest possible potential for hang up. If there is some way to hang that line up...either on a cast, or while trying to clear the line on a fish's first run, IT WILL FIND THE PLACE AND GRAB IT.

Most of us know about Murphy's law: "Anything that can possibly go wrong, will go wrong...and at the worst possible time." When it comes to fly fishing and float tubing, Murphy was an optimist.

Two species of fish that always are good for line tangles and popped flies are bonito and salmon. Even using a stripping basket, to minimize tangled coils, a sprinting bonito can make the whole basket of line jump up and create knots that no boy scout could ever tie. Big fresh run salmon, in the tidewater areas of the northern coast rivers can do the same. Only they can back it up with a lot more weight. I once lost a brand new shooting head, fifty yards of shooting line and two hundred yards of backing on a monster chinook in the lower end of the Smith river.

No, I don't see the Phat critter as a good bet for trouble free fly flogging. I do see it as a good tool for bassin' in fresh water, on small ponds without a lot of wind. It could also be a good craft for slow trolling for trout, or bass, where you needed good flotation for maximum propulsion efficiency.

Doesn't matter what you and I think, though. Again...people buy what they want, as long as they want it more than the money it costs. There's a system for everybody...and somebody for every system. It's kinda like a dating thing. You sometimes wonder how two people find each other and form a match. Same thing with anything to do with fishing. It is unbelievable when you see some of the outlandish systems some anglers put together...and sometimes outfish the so-called experts. Praise be.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
TUBING TIME - by TubeDude - 02-27-2003, 01:13 PM
Re: [TubeDude] TUBING TIME - by JapanRon - 02-27-2003, 09:11 PM
Re: [JapanRon] TUBING TIME - by TubeDude - 02-27-2003, 10:21 PM
Re: [TubeDude] TUBING TIME - by JapanRon - 02-28-2003, 03:08 AM
Re: [JapanRon] TUBING TIME - by TubeDude - 02-28-2003, 03:32 AM
Re: [TubeDude] TUBING TIME - by Baytuber - 02-28-2003, 11:37 PM
Re: [Baytuber] TUBING TIME - by TubeDude - 03-01-2003, 01:30 AM
Re: [TubeDude] TUBING TIME - by Baytuber - 03-04-2003, 06:05 AM
Re: [Baytuber] TUBING TIME - by TubeDude - 03-04-2003, 11:03 AM
Re: [Baytuber] TUBING TIME - by JapanRon - 03-04-2003, 06:16 PM