Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PAINTS & ADHESIVES
[cool]Hey, JapanRon, check the attachment I posted at the bottom of the page. I thought of your new miracle glue when I saw it.

I also thought that a discussion of favorite paints and glues might be a fun thing to do. Almost every seasoned angler has a collection of jars and tubes full of stuff they have bought for one situation or another. In addition to the chosen few I now use all the time, I have stuff I have had for years, used once and will never use again. I am only keeping it around to see if I can let it mellow into "antique" status, for future collectors.

To keep it brief, and start it off, I use several paints for jig and lure painting. For one-coating jig heads, I use two part epoxy paints. I mix them, allow them to cure for a half hour, then apply. As soon as I have a batch ringing around an old metal bread pan, I pop them into a 160 degree oven for 20 - 30 minutes. When they cool, they are rock hard and impervious to most dings, and they do not react to the solvents in plastic lures.

I also use vinyl paints for some applications, but I finish them with clear epoxy paint as a final protection. You need to do this expecially for the fluorescent and glow paints. they are soft and they do not have a very good gloss. The final coat of clear epoxy takes care of all problems.

For some colors, I go to the hobby and model shops, to get some of the exotic colors used in model building. These paints are not ding-proof, and also need a coat of expoxy paint for gloss and toughness.

I have a wide assortment of glues. I build rods, tie flies, make lures and mess around with several esoteric crafts. I am also the guy everyone calls whenever a neighbor or family member has a mending job. So, I have all kinds of adhesives from all purpose to vinyl, to glass, to liquid metal, to contact glue to super glue and epoxies...quick set and long cure.

For wader and tube repairs I have the standard patch kits. I also keep some "Aquaseal" in my freezer at all times. It is great stuff for just putting on a gob and letting it cure. Fixes waders, tubes, vinyl air chambers and all kinds of things. GOOP is right up there too, for a fix all squeezable product. JapanRon mentioned the Marine grade of GOOP. I haven't tried it yet, but maybe he can offer some other ideas on applications.

There are several new "fishermen's glues", designed to apply to knots for a stronger connection. These especially help with knotting some of the new super lines. They are often difficult to get to maintain a tight knot, with full knot strength. A drop of fisherman's glue on a "nail knot"...or some other leader to fly line connection...can make the resulting knot cleaner and help it slide through the guides easier.

How about it gang, whet are you using to help you stick to fishing? Please, no more duct tape tricks. I'll never get my wife to forgive me now, for making her "safe" from chemical warfare. Kept the house quiet until she managed to dial 911 on the portable phone I forgot I left in the cellar.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
PAINTS & ADHESIVES - by TubeDude - 03-22-2003, 01:26 AM
Re: [TubeDude] PAINTS & ADHESIVES - by JapanRon - 03-22-2003, 02:05 AM
Re: [JapanRon] PAINTS & ADHESIVES - by TubeDude - 03-22-2003, 11:03 AM
Re: [TubeDude] PAINTS & ADHESIVES - by davetclown - 03-22-2003, 05:14 PM
Re: [davetclown] PAINTS & ADHESIVES - by TubeDude - 03-22-2003, 11:11 PM
Re: [TubeDude] PAINTS & ADHESIVES - by lonehunter - 03-23-2003, 12:14 AM
Re: [lonehunter] PAINTS & ADHESIVES - by TubeDude - 03-23-2003, 02:11 AM
Re: [TubeDude] PAINTS & ADHESIVES - by lonehunter - 03-24-2003, 01:01 AM
Re: [lonehunter] PAINTS & ADHESIVES - by TubeDude - 03-24-2003, 11:15 AM
Re: [TubeDude] PAINTS & ADHESIVES - by davetclown - 04-03-2003, 09:50 AM