Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Renting a boat....need ideas.
I would look very closely for signs of repair to the hull. Some will scratch up the hull a little and repaint it, which is no big deal, but others will damage it and need patches, repairs, etc. If a boat says 'recently repainted' I would want to know why, and look it over VERY carefully.
As for the mechanical, the first check is obvious, look for water in the oils / fluids. Make sure the impellar is working correctly. Ask the seller about it. Look for grease buildup on the engine block. You really shouldn't get any with a boat. The other thing to check is the hydraulics, whether it is inboard or outboard. If it is a larger motor, you are going to want to be absolutely sure the hydraulics work. You can get into a lot of expense there.
Another thing to look at is the interior. Seats and that are fairly easy to replace, but soft floorboards aren't quite so easy. Walk around inside and feel for soft spots that might indicate that you are going to have to replace all of the flooring. That can be difficult and expensive.
As for the type, style, etc. It really depends. tri-hull boats are more stable with people moving around on the boat, but don't cut through big waves. They ride the wave up and down, so they will slam into the next wave and could splash over the bow in bigger storms.
I wouldn't get a closed bow with 7 people. Most closed bow, whether 16 or 20 feet long, will only seat 6. A cuddy could solve that problem, but they often only seat about 5 plus those down in the cuddy. Could be a problem if nobody wants to be down there. Open bows will seat more, but there is less protection from weather. Just weigh those options and decide what's important for you.
Since fishing is secondary use, and you have 7 people, I would look for inboard. They are usually larger engines and can handle the play time more. However, your season is a bit shorter as you have to do more to winterize and maintain. Mine runs off a 305 V8 engine with a 4bbl carb on top.

Good luck in the search!!!!
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Renting a boat....need ideas. - by Nica - 07-18-2007, 02:17 AM
Re: [Nica] Renting a boat....need ideas. - by addicted2fishin - 09-10-2007, 12:53 AM