Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW EAGLE "CUDA" SONARS
[cool]Eagle has a new "price line" of sonar systems that look to be ideal for flotation fishing. These are the Cuda 128 and 168...for 128 pixels and 168 pixels respectively. If you shop wisely (Cabelas), you can get the smaller unit for around $80 and the larger for $100...about $20 under suggested retail. Here's a link to the Eagle Electronics website:
[url "http://www.eaglegps.com/"]http://www.eaglegps.com/[/url]

I have successfully used the Eagle Fish Easy models on my craft for several years, with no complaints. They are low wattage, compared to the super units needed by bass boaters or deep water jig fishermen, but they provide everything necessary for shallow water tubin.

I plan to acquire one of the 168's within the next couple of weeks, to install and field test on my Fat Cat. I will be taking pics and writing up an evaluation. I will also make diagrams for anyone who wants to copy my installation system.

In the interim, one of our esteemed members from Utah, EmuScud, just got one of the 128's and has worked out a system for installing it on his pontoon craft. In the pics below, he did a "demo" mount on a 5 gallon plastic bucket to illustrate his creative use of an adjustable strap, to mount the display unit on top, and the transducer on the bottom.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1388708.jpg]
#1. Picture somewhat dark, but we are looking down on the bottom of the bucket, with the transducer on the left (bottom) and the display on the right (top)

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1396492.jpg]
#2. A clear pic of the slim display on the Cuda 128. Note the use of a wood mounting base, secured with the adjustable strap. (Don't screw the mounting bracket directly into your tube)

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1405006.jpg]
#3. Looks like Charlie the Tuna gave his all for this creative mounting of the transducer. Actually, according to EmuScud, the mount is on a "thick old piece of PVC". Probably a lot more durable. My only question is having the delicate transducer mounted on the bottom of the craft, where it might be subject to snagging and dragging. I still prefer my retractable PVC rod system.

Thanks for the pics, ES.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
NEW EAGLE "CUDA" SONARS - by TubeDude - 04-08-2003, 11:51 AM
Re: [TBear] NEW EAGLE "CUDA" SONARS - by TubeDude - 04-12-2003, 10:42 PM
Re: [TubeDude] NEW EAGLE "CUDA" SONARS - by Xman - 04-17-2003, 06:59 AM
Re: [Xman] NEW EAGLE "CUDA" SONARS - by TubeDude - 04-17-2003, 11:28 AM
Re: [TubeDude] NEW EAGLE "CUDA" SONARS - by Xman - 04-18-2003, 03:13 AM