Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
They just look so good together
No, I don't know Gramps. I'm not on any other flyfishing forums. Used to be on Danny Wall's list, but I can't handle 250 posts/day.

There's only so much time for playing, so I only do it on courts where I'm comfortable with the other players.

The old-timer I referred to I had actually met on-stream. I had stopped to admire him---he used that classic casting style---I could envision a book under his elbow---that was beautiful to watch.

I'd hopscotched to the next pool, and, shortly after, he came by doing the same. And we got to be talking.

Talking! Ha. He lectured, I listened. Until I threw in the line about horsehair leaders, and he went off in a huff.

Keep in mind, it wasn't his silk I objected to. It was his attitude. Far as I'm personally concerned, silk has only one diSadvantage---I'm not conciencious enough to dry and care for it. Which is my misfortune and none of its own.

I'm convinced, though, that all flyfishers are reactionary to one degree or another. Why, then, do I continue tying my own leaders when perfectly good factory ones exist? Why then do we stick to very old patterns when new ones are often more effective? Why are we out there picking up road kills, when so many synthetics do the job better?Why, indeed, are we even talking about bamboo rods and silk lines?

Flyfishing is the only sport I know of that has remained virtually unchanged for centuries. Despite "advances" in equipment and casting methods, we are doing precisely what Dame Juliana did---delivering a bundle of fluff to a fish by swinging it on the end of a line and stick. In fact, many of the fly patterns we use are the same dozen she used, or variants of them.

Deep down, I believe, we want to accomplish the task of delivering fly to fish exactly the way she did.

Brook
[url "http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com"]http://www.the-outdoor-sports-advisor.com[/url]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
They just look so good together - by flygoddess - 12-05-2008, 09:53 PM
Re: [flygoddess] They just look so good together - by Brook - 12-15-2008, 01:22 PM