Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rapala knot or line clip?
[#ff0000]I always tie directly to the lure except: 1.) When I'm lazy. 2.) When I'm using a spinning action lure. If I'm trolling I put a small swivel between my main line and leader to prevent twists and then tie directly to the leader. As much as I love Rapala's, I have not had good success with their knot. If you watch carefully as you cinch the knot down it will (always) stretch, score, and weaken the line where it tightens - always. Watch for your line to look white, thinner, twisted, and deformed where it tightens down. I love the loop for the lure to swim on however. I have experimented with all sorts of knots from fishing guides, to the coast guard, to the boy scouts, and I finally just started using a simple overhand loop knot. It can be a little tricky passing an eight-inch jointed Rapala with multiple sticky sharp treble hooks through the loop but can also be tied without passing the lure through the loop. The knots strength is virtually the same as the line you tie it up with and has worked well with all different line types I have tried. I always put ten feet of spider wire leader on the end of my leaded lines by breaking out an inch or two of the lead, threading the spider wire into the middle and then tying it together with two overhand knots. I usually then run a swivel from the spider wire to whatever pound mono I want to use. The overhand knot works the same for fly line to leader attachment for a virtually weightless waterproof connect, but you loose an inch or so of line every time you change leader so being the cheap person that I am, I use a barrel or nail knot instead. The improved cinch knot is probably the best to tie to a swivel or snap, with mono anyway. 2morecentsworth. [/#ff0000]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Rapala knot or line clip? - by Lunashines - 06-23-2003, 06:56 AM
Re: [Lunashines] Rapala knot or line clip? - by neveronsunday - 06-25-2003, 08:00 PM