Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Report 8/23
I talked my wife into going up to Strawberry yesterday afternoon. We got to Renegade at about 2:30 and spent about 30 min catching minnows, then we were out on the water.

We started catching fish almost right away. We were just trolling a minnow behind a small egg sinker as we made our way towards Indian Creek. Everything we were catching was within the slot limit except for the biggest cutt that I have EVER caught. Only problem.....he snapped my leader when he ran under the boat. He was at the very least 24in.

After six or so cutts between 12-18 inches and just as many misses, we scooted over to Indian Creek to see if we could catch some rainbows to eat. We anchored off about 75 yards from shore and my wife started catching fish right away on powerbait. After she had caught 3 fat rainbows in about 15 min, I decided that maybe I should try PB too. I caught one right away, but then it shut off for the next 45 min. The wind kept kicking our anchor up off the bottom, so we decided to start drifting again with minnows. We were getting constant action as we drifted across the bay. My wife caught two 20 inch cutts, one of which we're sure didn't make it. He had blood coming from his gills from the get go. She was really mad that we had to put it back. She felt bad. We both caught a couple more in the 18-19 inch range and then it was time to get going. We were off the water by 7PM, a short trip, but still fun. My wife outfished my 12 to 6 and we had 4 tasty rainbows to eat!

Kent- When we were anchored, I couldn't buy a fish with a minnow. Do you usually drift and troll them? Also, the smaller shiners seemed to work a lot better than anything else. Do you ever get much action on some of the bigger minnows? What size do you usually shoot for?

Also, what's the trick to targeting the smaller minnows. It seemed like sometimes all I was pulling up was 6-7 inch chubs. On my first cast out with the net, I caught almost 20 of them. I figured that they were way too big and just threw them up on shore.

-Jack
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Strawberry Report 8/23 - by Shrimpboy - 08-24-2003, 11:11 PM
Re: [Fishrmn] Strawberry Report 8/23 - by polokid - 08-25-2003, 05:16 PM