Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Experience with lightening strikes near you.
Fishingbob just returned from a fishing trip awhile back on Cascade Reservoir and told of his shocking experience with static electricity. This got me to thinking of my experiences around lightening. Have any of you had close calls with lightening strikes?
Here are a couple of close calls I have. You might share your experiences after my story. It may save someone's life.

About 23 years ago a friend and I were visiting the mountains just east of Spencer, Idaho and west of the old opal mines. It was a clear robin's egg blue sky with no clouds. Within the hour after arriving, a small lone storm cloud came heading our way. It was dark but had no signs of storm activity coming from it. We saw it but didn't think much about it. When it nearly reached the low mountains we were exploring, it started dropping a little rain AND lightening bolts strikes around us. At one point strikes hit within a hundred to hundred and fifty feet and it sounded like cannons going off around us. At that point my friend and I hit the ground and hugged the earth for all we were worth. Standing up might almost mean instant death from a lightening bolt as we were nearly the tallest object on a sagebrush covered hillside.

On another occasion a friend and I were standing on a sidewalk in central Indiana when it started to rain. Within a minute or so a lightening bolt struck just across the street near a garbage can not more than 35 feet away. That was a little too much for our liking. We headed for safety.

Now your turn to tell your electrifying experiences with Zeus bolts of energy.

DeeCee
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Your Experience with lightening strikes near you. - by DeeCee - 08-18-2011, 10:38 PM