Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opening Day... Archery 2011
Well got up into my tree at 5:05 AM. Didn't see a thing until I caught a glipse of a deer skirting around my meadow at 7:25ish. I only saw it for a couple minutes in a few small openings in the trees. I was debating on getting down between 8:00-8:30. Chose to stay to 8:30, and it turned out to be a good decision. At 8:20 I saw 4 deer up on a ridge across the meadow from me. They were on a trail I have seen many animals on over the years I have hunted this spot, and they would stay on top of the ridge and go around, or come right under me on a decent little trail. Lucky for me, it was the second option. Turned out to be a doe and her 2 fawns, followed by a nice little 4x3. Apparently the buck got closer to the fawns than the doe liked, because she chased him away three times. The last time be bolted up into the trees. Needless to say I was kinda disappointed. As she made her way off, he came back. Gave me a decent shot at 8-9 yards. I took the shot, and within 30 seconds he was laying in his final resting spot about 50 yards away.
Deer down by 8:45 opening day... time for elk hunting!

Not the biggest buck, but good enough for me.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Opening Day... Archery 2011 - by bowhunter3 - 08-26-2011, 04:07 PM