Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Causey, Tigers, and Moose...oh my
Headed out to Causey Reservoir this morning at 530 and arrived at the arm on the Cub Scout Camp side at 615. There is a good 50 yards from the inlet to hard deck of open water (thanks for the PM tip!).

[Image: DSCN0302.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0300.jpg]
Temperature outside was a crispy 27degrees with a water temp of 33. I setup near the inlet and started working through the tackle box with the spin reel/rod. Causey was being her usual evil mistress to me and I was getting zero bites and not seeing any surface activity of the fishies. The BSC pond was a different story. I eyed the MANY trout I could see working the surface and just under the surface on that side, but the warning signs to stay out get the message through loud and clear. No soup for me.

[Image: DSCN0301.jpg]

It was only an hour or two in so I wasn't entirely discouraged at this point and kept on casting. It was very peaceful out and I had this arm of the lake to myself so I was pretty content. I started to hear breaking sticks behind me but couldn't locate the source or see anything so I went back to fishing. All off the sudden I hear a branch snap and looked over my left shoulder (towards the very steep mountainside) and MOOSE! Not just a moose but a female and her calf were about 10 yards from me just over the bridge coming down the trail. Pucker factor 15. I figured it would be quite fortiutous to pack up my gear and move to the other side of the lake. Not before I got a few pictures though! Mind you there is no zoom used on my camera for the first photo, the other 3 photos are as I'm moving away.
[Image: DSCN0304.jpg]

[Image: DSCN0307.jpg]
[Image: DSCN0308.jpg]
[Image: DSCN0315.jpg]

And back to the fishing. On the other side of the inlet now I'm still working through the tackle box trying to get anything to work. I even tried bubble and fly to no avail. Finally tried the one thing I hadn't yet, my old trusty Blue Fox Silver/Blue #1. Bingo! Got my first ever Tiger Trout and what a beauty. Measured just under 15" and I was pretty surprised on how it fought. After taking a few pictures and gawking at it I threw it back so we could meet another day.
[Image: DSCN0316.jpg]
That was my only hit, bump, bite of the day but it was a victory for me, cross another one off the bucket list.

On a side note today was the first time using braided fishing line. I picked up two different brands from Sportsman's both in 'low visibility' green. GARBAGE. In 20 years of fishing I've never had so many issues with a fishing line. I don't know if it's operator error or that this type of line HATES cold water but I had more tangles, snarls, and 'wind knots' than I could count. I got so frustrated with the first set of line I had on that I stripped it off and loaded on the 2nd brand. The 2nd brand of line held up better for a little longer but the performance eventually turned out just the same. I definitely think I'm going back to mono!
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Causey, Tigers, and Moose...oh my - by AFFamily - 03-11-2012, 12:06 AM