Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(Help) Red Bands In Owyhees!
[reply]Bronco,
I have been tossing this around in my mnd for the last couple of days on whether to respond to your post about the desert fish. Let me first off applaud your efforts for "blue lining" as it is called, going out and looking for fish in some pretty gnarley places. You can not only learn a lot about our native fish in their natural habitat but also see some beautiful places. I would also like to congratulate you on catching a true redband trout in our area, aka Oncorhynchus mykiss gairdneri. Not to be Confused with Oncorhynchus mykiss Newberri which would be the variety over in the Blitzen river area (There are various subspeciecies out there and yes, they are different, especially in southern Oregon and parts of california and Nevada). Anyway to answer your question is yes, those are straight up feisty redbands. The orange slash you saw has nothing to do with cutts or any type of hybridization, it is one of the key indicators that most juvenile redbands do have as well parr marks that can remain into adulthood on both counts. To find out more about these fish and any other other trout of the North america consult the works of Dr. Behnke specifically here.http://www.amazon.com/Native-Trout-Western-America-Monograph/dp/0913235784/ref=la_B001IOFE94_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1338110073&sr=1-3

Ok, now with that out of the way, there are a couple of other points I feel I need to make and I am not trying to sound like a DB but need to say them. First and formost, everyone and their brother can view this post out there on the web and considering the difficulties the redbands have just enough problems surviving in the the desert they haunt, they don't really need anymore attention drawn to them. The cards are already very well stacked against them so I would keep that mind before detailing such great directions to where you are going and what you find. Last and probably just as important, you were not on public land where you ended getting to the creek. There is no public access to that creek or reservoir whatsoever. Once you turn off that blm road toward either one of them, you are tresspassing. Just thought I would let you know. I had permission up util 10 years ago butl interlopers who did plenty of damage out there eventually ruined it for those of us that did have permission. If you have any questions, feel freem to pm me. On the bright side, that is a big desert and plenty of place to hunt for fish that are on public land.[/reply]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
(Help) Red Bands In Owyhees! - by Bronco66 - 05-22-2012, 07:39 AM
Re: [Bronco66] (Help) Red Bands In Owyhees! - by truco7mateo - 05-27-2012, 09:09 AM