Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Berry BEST for Last (Sunday)
Always have had a love hate relationship with the berry over the years....having never fished the fall season up there I decided on Sunday to go up there with BFT's FlyFishingLover and FishingLunitic.

Arrived at Haws Point at 7am or so.....just in time for the sunrise.

[Image: 818947.JPG]

[Image: 818948.JPG]

Around 9am the action started to turn on. Threw a jig out there and kept getting hook ups...but none to shore. After 4 fish lost I tested the sharpness of the hook and the verdict......dull as a bowling ball!

So I put on a new hook and sure enough....got into the biggest fish of the day! A 19.8 inch Cutthroat Trout. This guy was fat and quite a handful.

[Image: 818949.JPG]

Knowing that if fish take a jig they will take a fly....so I switched up the gear....and got 2 Rainbow Trout....one at 13.6 inches and the other at 11in.

[Image: 818950.JPG]

The 2 boys were out on Float Tubes not getting anything so FFL wanted to try Chicken Creek West. I threw a few more casts and nailed a 18.5 inch Cutthroat on the fly!

[Image: 818951.JPG]

At the parking lot I got a great view of the fall colors at the berry.

[Image: 818952.JPG]

While driving to CCW we almost nailed 3 deer crossing the road....and the momentary slow down allowed me to snap a picture of the colors along the road.

[Image: IMG_5938_zps3b7921cc.jpg]

Within 10 fly casts at CCW I got a 18.5 inch Cutthroat Trout to shore. A guy on the beach came over and said that when I showed up and started flinging flies he thought I would be wasting time...he also added that he has never seen a fly fisherman at the berry before...hummmm he must not fish the place that often.

[Image: 818953.JPG]

The wind kicked up and the action was DEAD! So I snapped some pics of the colors and took a 3 hour nap on the beach.
[Image: 818956.JPG]

[Image: 818954.JPG]

[Image: 818957.JPG]

[Image: IMG_5965_zps3172efd5.jpg]

The lack of action was discouraging.....so we bailed over to Soldier Creek to fish for some bows.
[Image: 818958.JPG]

Got a bunch of takers on the fly.....but most got off. While stripping in the only Rainbow Trout I landed at Soldier Creek a bunch of Red Salmon came cruising by....oh I was just wishing that the bow would let go so I could get one of those guys....but never that never happened.
[Image: 818959.JPG]

At sunset we bailed back to SLC.....FFL got 3 fish, FL got 1 and I got 6. I got one on a pearl pepper tube jig and 5 on the Olive Mini Bunny.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
The Berry BEST for Last (Sunday) - by EvilTyeDyeTwin - 10-09-2012, 06:20 PM