Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Filling the freezer 8/24
After some miserable days weather wise, it was nice to have... another very wet day. I have been rained and/or hailed on every day I have hunted this season, and one point in the day or all day. I have spent countless hours in my tree stand with very little activity due to the weather. I would sit morning and evening, and do a little walk to spot and stalk during the day. I have passed on many small bucks (spikes and two points) and not seen any elk except 4 opening morning. Well, Saturday it was raining again and I decided I was not going to sit in the tree and get poured on with nothing to show for it again. So, I hiked into an area I have hunted in the past, but not this year. Put in about 2 miles, and was just getting pelted with hail and rain. Visibility was maybe 30-40 yards it was coming down so hard. Being as how I still had to walk back down one side of this mountain, across a creek, and up to the road to get back to my truck I started slowly heading the direction to the road.
Then, the weather I had been so frustrated with all season so far paid off. I came into a herd of elk laying just outside a meadow. All looking the other way out into the meadow. Couldn't get the shot angle I wanted, so I moved in a little closer. I debated whether to even shoot being as how the blood trail would almost instantly vanish in this downpour. Figured I better just make a good shot. Shot this cow at 7 yards laying down, spot and stalk. She went maybe 50 yards before expiring. Definitely a fun hunt, and a rush to get that close on the ground. Been cutting up meat each evening since.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Filling the freezer 8/24 - by bowhunter3 - 08-27-2013, 04:58 AM