Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another trip to the Creek
After working 8 days straight, I finally had a day off and could not think of anything better to do than fish. Imagine that. I got up dark and early and headed for Deer Creek. I decided to hit the land mass formerly know as "The Island". I got there about 6:15, still too dark to see my Pop-r, but luckily my ears work pretty well. As I made my way down to the lake you could see storm clouds above revealing themselves in the early morning light. Not too promising. My first cast was a joke. Missed the shore by a couple inches. The second cast landed right where I wanted it. I heard a splash, jerked the rod...and nothing. Missed him. 3rd cast, fish on. I landed this small, large-mouth.

[inline "First One 9-10.jpeg"]

I took a pic and sent him splashing, back into the lake. In the next 15 minutes I missed a couple and caught 4 more, all SMB. All about the same size.
As it started to get a little lighter out, the bites slowed to a halt. It's amazing how fast it can turn off. I kept casting waiting for the rain to start and hoping for another bite, but enjoying not being at work. I didn't see another soul until a boat whizzed out to the Charleston area at about 7 am. A flock of geese flew over, I'm sure they were trying to avoid the storm.

[inline birds.jpeg]

Right when I was about to call it a day, I got one of those bites that you're not expecting and it scares you a little. He fought a little harder than the rest did this morning. With good reason, he was about twice the size of the cookie cutter, bass I've been catching all summer long.

[inline "big un.jpeg"]

Not bad. He sent my favorite Pop-r into forced retirement. He ripped the tail right off.

[inline pop-r.jpeg]

He had a good life. He caught about 150 bass this summer.

So, after the excitement of landing that one, I couldn't stop now. I blew through another 30 minutes tossing a different Pop-r before the rain started to fall. Then instead of going to the car, I tied on my trusty Jakes and tossed that to the interest of no one.

After 20 minutes or so, the rain let up. Since the fishing was over, I decided to go exploring. I headed north, along the shoreline out into the flats toward Charleston. I got about a half mile from the island and noticed what appeared to be an old road or train track that was there before the reservoir was. Not much to it, just a little bit of a hump extending all the way out. There was a little spring bubbling up too that was kind of neat. Here is a pic I took from my google maps.

[inline gps.jpeg]

While it is true that I have fed lots of people with only two fish, the only actual miracle that occurs today is my green lawn in the middle of a desert.

Here is an actual photo.

[inline spring.jpeg]

As you can see, the sun was threatening to burn away the clouds.

All in all it was a fun day fishing. It was a lot slower than most days that I've had up there this year, but like they say, "A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work".
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Another trip to the Creek - by FISH_STICK - 09-10-2013, 09:00 PM