Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedal Pontoon Project
After seeing some pedal Kayaks up at Strawberry this year I knew a pedal craft was in my future.

I'm not a Kayak fan, so a Pedal Pontoon is in the works.

I'm starting with a Hobie Mirage Drive:

[Image: p_254_260.jpg]

I found a used one in great condition on eBay and it just arrived today!

For the past couple weeks I've been shopping for a medium-sized used pontoon -- preferably 7-8'. Something small enough that the pedal drive and oars may be all the power I need to get from point A to point B quickly... and the drive being all I need to troll or move while near the fish.

But the toon should be big enough to stick my MinnKota 30 and some Lithium batteries (5lbs for 16Ahr) if necessary.

The first phase of the project will be constructing a rigid mount out of aluminum tubing (no welding) that attaches to the Pontoon's foot rest booms.

I will be mounting the Mirage drive so that pedaling pushes backward. I prefer fishing this way and it will allow for both pedals and oars to be used simultaneously (and motor if included).

A simple steering rudder will also be added -- probably made from an old paddle.

Assuming I can achieve approx 2MPH trolling speed with sustainable pedal effort and 5MPH-ish top speed, I'll probably forgo the electric motor (and the registration hassles). Given the performance of the Kayaks, I think these are reasonable expectations.

If successful, Part II will be constructing a more complex "swivel" mount that will allow the Mirage drive to act as both thrust and rudder -- hopefully removing the need for fins without sacrificing fishing agility.

With snow about to fly and ice appearing on my favorite lakes (I'm no Ice fisherman) this winter project will keep me warm until Ice Off.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Pedal Pontoon Project - by MasterDaad - 11-14-2013, 01:36 AM