Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pontoon, canoe, or inflatable kayak?
What's your budget? Hobie makes great inflatable kayaks with the mirage drive. Set up and take down pretty easy and quick. There is a place in Burley that usually has one out for display and even demo. I think I saw one at Scheels on display in SLC also. Not sure if I was to pick just one craft if that would be it but it wouldn't be bad. I could see it becoming a pain to have to put in and out of the camper every time if you are going often.
There are a lot of junk inflatable kayaks out there and there are some good ones too. Here is a link to start where all might be considered or if nothing else get your head spinning on which one would be best. Add another 100-200 for a decent paddle tho the Hobie has the mirage for your primary power so the included paddle would suffice.

[url "http://www.outdoorplay.com/paddle-sports/Fishing-Inflatable-Kayaks-Type"]http://www.outdoorplay.com/paddle-sports/Fishing-Inflatable-Kayaks-Type[/url]

I like the paddleboard myself and all my kayaks and my pontoon boat sit lonely anymore. There are some great inflatables out there and the hard ones have seemed to have dropped or leveled off in price with more used ones seeing the market now. No problem with you and a kid on one depending on what you get. Sitting down on it to fish or hang out is great, comfortable, and relaxing as all get out but sitting down on it and trying to paddle anywhere tho is awkward, tiring, and uncomfortable although I have never bothered nor would I want to bring a separate kayak paddle. Hold position or try and hold position maybe but that's all. Sitting on a milk crate or cooler or even foldable stool depending on your board is great and you can cover lots of ground or if you must you go to your knees if suddenly going upwind and the chop is.....confusing. Add another 200-300 for a decent paddle. Could get an adjustable for the kids for 100 or so but they are pretty much junk/loaners/extra/kids paddles till you get away from aluminum.
Ain't nothing cheap for good toys it seems BUT just get something to get out on the water and as you probably already well suspect and everyone else already knows....that will just be the start.
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Re: [1idahoguy] Pontoon, canoe, or inflatable kayak? - by lucabrasi - 05-20-2014, 02:05 AM