Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monday BFT Kitty Fest 8-17-15
[#0000ff]Met up with BLK and his 3 grandsons at Lincoln Beach yesterday morning. IceSled showed up later. We all caught plenty of whiskery critters.

I stopped on the way down to try to catch some baby white bass at Lindon. Only got 3 under the lights. Usually catch dozens this time of year. Hit Lincoln Beach at daybreak and only got 5 more. Looks like the whities had another poor spawn year.

I drove out on the rock point by first spring. Nice easy launch spot there for tubers. BLK and his cat-catching crew pulled in off the rocks and started catching fish before I got fully launched. Them boys is serious about their kitties.

I started out by flinging plastics and cranks...seeing if maybe a silly wallie might wanna play. Nope. The low count on the baby whities is not atracting them in August as in years past.

Once I got out to about 5' of water I put out a piece of carp meat on my second rod. Almost instant bendo on a 20 plus incher. Several more followed quickly...but many were kinda smallish...for Utah Lake. They looked more like Willard cookie cutters.

Upgraded to fishing with small white bass. Bendo some more again...with bigger fish. Fairly regular action on cats from 21 to 25 inches. Ran out of white bass and got a couple more small fish on my last pieces of carp meat.

Guesstimating I brought in about 14 to 15 cats all together. Kept 5 for the smoker.

Saw a guy in a mini duckboat kinda rig out a hundred yards or so from where I was fishing. Turned out to be IceSled...a BFTer who doesn't post much but is a serious angler. Last fished with him on Jordanelle several years ago...on ice...of course.

IceSled found a group of playful kitties out where he was and I watched him bring in two or three. Got one long range zoom pic that turned out okay. Later on, as I was moving in to get out at my vehicle he breezed in with that "eggbeater" motor and we exchanged howdies. We both agreed that fishing had been good...but for fish smaller than we had hoped for. Neither of us had scored over the mid twenty inch CATegory.

Air temp stayed pleasant and breezes never got above the light ripple stage. Lots of haze in the air from the fires around the west. Almost couldn't see the mountains on the Provo side of the lake.

Water temp stayed around 75 all morning. I left before noon so don't know how high they got later. It is going to be a month or so before temps get down under 65. That should bring in some walleyes and get the larger kitties nervous...hopefully nervous enough to slurp up the big fish stuff I will be fishing for them then.
[/#0000ff]
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Monday BFT Kitty Fest 8-17-15 - by TubeDude - 08-18-2015, 01:10 PM