Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perch doing well in Starvation
Hookngrinin, and a friend from Vernal and I fished Rabbit Gulch today beginning at about 0830. Based on some of the reports from the weekend we decided to try shallower than we fished last Thursday. We got into the perch in 13 to 15 feet of water in the upper end of Rabbit Gulch. There were some other fishermen in the vicinity and across the bay who appeared to be doing OK.

Success was pretty good and all three of us caught lots of perch in the 4 to 9.5 inch range. Mealworms and perch eyes and belly strips were the baits of choice. Ron and I kept around 20 fish each. All of my 20 were 8 to 9.5 inches, plenty porky to fillet and enjoy. Ron and my friend caught a few rainbows but I didn't get any on this trip.

Ice thickness where we fished was 8 to 9 inches and solid. The ice was making some popping and cracking noises but it's good noise because it means the ice is getting stronger. The lake is rising and there is a little water coming up around the edges. When we came back to shore we had to cross about 10 feet of 4 inch water over the ice. The ice hadn't weakened but I urge caution when crossing the edges until they have a chance to freeze up again.

Mike

edit to correct Hookngrinin's spelling......sorry Ron. I know you don't do any "ginin".
[signature]

Messages In This Thread
Perch doing well in Starvation - by TopH2O - 01-06-2016, 02:46 AM