Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snowmobile vs ATV with tracks for ice fishing?
Both K2 and myself did earlier, [crazy]
[signature]
Looks like we made the right decision when I cancelled my reservation a week ago. I'm going to back off for a few weeks and see what March has to offer, if that doesn't work I will wait until the ice disappears and take the boat up, kinda need to do that anyway.[cool]
[signature]
[quote PACKFAN]

Both K2 and myself did earlier, [crazy]

[/quote]

I know you did, and I appreciate it from both of you. I just want to know of any other options, if there are any, so that I consider all reasonable opportunities (also, considering what is currently available on KSL for sale).
[signature]
I sell the snow dog machines and we are the local dealer in Utah. Feel free to post questions and I will be happy to answer them. Also, feel free to shoot me an email travis@backwaterperformance.com or give me a call at the shop 385-695-3811
[signature]
Try to buy a machine that has power steering and a true front locking differential, it will be money well spent.
I went with a Grizzly 700 with power steering that is fuel injected.
I understand a Suzuki King Quad is also an excellent choice.
Not sure about Hondas.
[signature]
Snowmobiles are going to be one of the best options. I have an 07 skidoo summit 800 with 2.5" lugs. bought used for $2500...reliable and more capable than most drivers. couple weeks ago 4 of us used it...me plus 1 rider pulling 3 sleds...100mph round trips can shuffle friends pretty fast....lol..jk...but they can certainly do it.
[signature]
I also run a Suzuki king quad and Kawasaki Terra X4, all have their pros and cons.
[signature]
In the for what it's worth department...I am not a snowmobiler but I bought one for ice fishing. I have ATV's and considered putting tracks on one. The draw backs were low top speed (runs back and forth to the car and the marina are best done quickly to save fishing time) and the wear and tear on my machine. Tracks do put more stress on the transmission and engine. I bought a 2007 SkiDoo Summit 800 with 2.5 inch paddles and a 159 inch track for $2,500. The big paddles and the long track make all the difference in the slush and deep snow. Three weeks ago at Strawberry there was 6 inches of slush under 18 inches of snow. I took two people and a full pull sled 2.5 miles from the marina and never got close to being stuck. It would bog down in the really deep stuff but kept going. I think the longer track is a must as is reverse unless you have a RORO trailer. The one thing I would like would be electric start but so far that hasn't been a problem and I'm 61. So my recommendation would be a higher power sled 600 plus, reverse, 155 inch track minimum, 2 inch paddles minimum, and electric start if you can find it. It has worked well for me and have never been stuck.
[signature]
For anyone thinking about it I installed my electric start. It's easy and doesnt cost much if a guy is willing to do it themselves. Most modern sleds are pre-wired already.
[signature]
Great, have you ever used one in deep slush, say 5" or more, if so how do they handle it?
[signature]
I guess it depends on how much gear you are going to take but in that one pic it looks like you could sit in the sled and carry all your gear in the same sled. I guess it all depends on how much gear you plan on taking. I will say I take more gear now days than I need but if I only took a couple of rods, a fish finder, tackle, an auger and a ice scoop, I'm pretty sure I could get it all in one of those sleds. Now whether the snowdog could pull me and two other guys that's another issue all together.[Wink]
[signature]
I did a show with KSL Outdoors end of March last year and there was 4-5” of slush on the ice and no snow as it had rained the night before. Didn’t have any issues.
[signature]
Kim is correct about the need for scratchers on glare ice.
If you dont have scratchers dish soap works also.
[signature]
Kent,
Not sure if it is still on KSL still but last week there was a Yamaha Bravo Trapper Special in very good shape.
This machine was designed for trappers and people hauling materials in to extreme snow environments. Super long track, lightweight, not sure of reverse.
In Canada that machine would not last 10 minutes of being on sale after advertising.
[signature]
I have a Can Am 1000 cc with the Can Am Apache tracks. The Can Am's are built to run with tracks. I did have a bad day back in 2014. Here is the link to that thread - FYI:

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gfo...TV;#865325

I love fishing with my tracked ATV. However, if you get them stuck in the slush, you are in a heap of big trouble. I wish I could find a photo, can't seem to find one at the moment.

When I started to look for a tracked ATV, I talked with a few folks that had them. Everyone said to get 800 cc as a minimum & I agree. I have a friend that owns a Honda with 700 cc's and he does seem to bog down more than I do. As I mentioned in the thread above, I can travel through 6-inches of slush with no problem. Any more than that, and I will turn around.

The Can Am's have adjustable power steering to use with the tracks and a chip that adjusts your speedometer & odometer accordingly. You won't travel as fast as a sled; however, I go as fast as I want. Any faster & it will be too cold for me. I highly recommend the Can Am.

In addition, I've towed a few sleds off the ice, never towed a tracked ATV.
[signature]
They are geared for low end torque and pulling. They are rated to pull 660+ pounds on dry ground. On the snow/ice I would say closer to 700-1000 pounds.
[signature]
[quote OCF]I have a Can Am 1000 cc with the Can Am Apache tracks. The Can Am's are built to run with tracks. I did have a bad day back in 2014.[/quote][#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I called Camso Track Systems (after market tracks for ATVs) a few weeks back and the rep I talked to recommended the CanAm's as the top of the chain for track systems. His own machine was a CanAm. The companies second choice is the Grizzly.[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[#800000][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]If I decide for next year to go that route (tracked quad), it will be a CanAm 2-up quad. Not sure at this point. In the past 8 years, I've only been stuck in slush twice with my sled; once on Pineview and once on Cascade. Good thing I wasn't fishing alone either time. [cool]
[/size][/font][/#800000]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I don't care what you are running always good to have a 2nd machine with you
[signature]
That’s exactly why when ice fishing you go with others. No matter with or without machines. Plus carrying basic tools along with tow straps. Including if towing a sled remove the belt
[signature]
[quote travismadden]I did a show with KSL Outdoors end of March last year and there was 4-5” of slush on the ice and no snow as it had rained the night before. Didn’t have any issues.[/quote]
So how would it handle the slush with 4-5" of snow on top of it? I'm just wondering at what point it is too much and there would be a likelihood of getting it stuck?
[signature]