Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ririe 7/24
I’ll give it a shot soon as I get these honeydews off my list!
Thanks
(08-08-2020, 02:04 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: That being said, the part about eating red kokes, I started bottling them last year and that could make a difference. I smoke them first, then bottle them.
By the way, do you fish arrow rock or lucky peak? I'm planning on making a trip up there later this fall, after the spawn, so we would be fishing for next years kokes.
Yeah we usually can 10 cases of pints a year. Still no red fish. LOL 
The Koke fishing was so bad in the chain of lakes, Anderson, Arrow Rock and Lucky Peak we never launched the boat. Kept waiting for reports to improve and they never did so . . .
Hit Ririe this morning... Kept 8 kokes, 3 perch and 1 smallie. Fished same area near dam/Juniper. Was surprised to see that smallmouth hit a kokanee setup up which was a Slingblade and Smile blade tipped with corn on a long line 120 ft out over 140 ft of water!!!

My thoughts on kokanee is that the more silver they are = the better they are, but I have no problem keeping them a little blushed! The Traeger can do magic!!!

On another note, saw some nice fish that were caught at Anderson Ranch really early this year... same guy said he only got 1 in 4 hours of trolling recently though!
(08-08-2020, 11:49 PM)psanders71 Wrote: Hit Ririe this morning... Kept 8 kokes, 3 perch and 1 smallie.  Fished same area near dam/Juniper.  Was surprised to see that smallmouth hit a kokanee setup up which was a Slingblade and Smile blade tipped with corn on a long line 120 ft out over 140 ft of water!!!

My thoughts on kokanee is that the more silver they are = the better they are, but I have no problem keeping them a little blushed!  The Traeger can do magic!!! 

On another note, saw some nice fish that were caught at Anderson Ranch really early this year... same guy said he only got 1 in 4 hours of trolling recently though!

Nice haul, did you catch the perch and smallie trolling? Sounds like you did, that's pretty crazy. What kind of fish was this nice fish you saw at Anderson ranch, how big was it?
(08-08-2020, 09:24 PM)MMDon Wrote:
(08-08-2020, 02:04 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: That being said, the part about eating red kokes, I started bottling them last year and that could make a difference. I smoke them first, then bottle them.
By the way, do you fish arrow rock or lucky peak? I'm planning on making a trip up there later this fall, after the spawn, so we would be fishing for next years kokes.
The Koke fishing was so bad in the chain of lakes, Anderson, Arrow Rock and Lucky Peak we never launched the boat. Kept waiting for reports to improve and they never did so . . .
10 cases, wow, you really catch a lot of salmon, is that just in Idaho or do you fish other states? Thanks for the info on those three lakes.
(08-10-2020, 02:37 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(08-08-2020, 11:49 PM)psanders71 Wrote: Hit Ririe this morning... Kept 8 kokes, 3 perch and 1 smallie.  Fished same area near dam/Juniper.  Was surprised to see that smallmouth hit a kokanee setup up which was a Slingblade and Smile blade tipped with corn on a long line 120 ft out over 140 ft of water!!!

My thoughts on kokanee is that the more silver they are = the better they are, but I have no problem keeping them a little blushed!  The Traeger can do magic!!! 

Nice haul, did you catch the perch and smallie trolling? Sounds like you did, that's pretty crazy. What kind of fish was this nice fish you saw at Anderson ranch, how big was it?
Yeah... the smallie and the perch were caught trolling for kokanee.  First decent smallmouth we have caught doing that, although we have picked up a few tiny ones on the same gear this year.  For perch, we usually get 3 or 4 every time out while targeting kokes.  Never knew perch would suspend over deep water like that until I fished at Ririe! 

Saw some pics of nice catches as far back as January of this year with the biggest koke right at 20 inches in April.  Like MMDon said though, not much catching going on this summer!
(08-10-2020, 02:43 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(08-08-2020, 09:24 PM)MMDon Wrote:
10 cases, wow, you really catch a lot of salmon, is that just in Idaho or do you fish other states? Thanks for the info on those three lakes.
That was just Ririe. We would ice fish 5 days a week in the winter as soon as you could get on and we trolled every morning before opening the shop. We like to launch in the dark and be loaded back on the trailer about sunrise or sooner with a couple of limits. In the winter we would limit most mornings before it was barely light and head to work. I don't like to be on the water past 9:30 am as I hate lake lice and crowds.
psanders71
[/quote]Yeah... the smallie and the perch were caught trolling for kokanee. First decent smallmouth we have caught doing that, although we have picked up a few tiny ones on the same gear this year. For perch, we usually get 3 or 4 every time out while targeting kokes. Never knew perch would suspend over deep water like that until I fished at Ririe!

Saw some pics of nice catches as far back as January of this year with the biggest koke right at 20 inches in April. Like MMDon said though, not much catching going on this summer![/quote]

That's pretty amazing that a perch and SM would be up that high in the water column. I've caught a few perch up high like that too but it's pretty rare to see a SM caught like that, at least for me, must not be finding enough food on the bottom.
(08-10-2020, 08:20 PM)MMDon Wrote: That was just Ririe. We would ice fish 5 days a week in the winter as soon as you could get on and we trolled every morning before opening the shop. We like to launch in the dark and be loaded back on the trailer about sunrise or sooner with a couple of limits. In the winter we would limit most mornings before it was barely light and head to work. I don't like to be on the water past 9:30 am as I hate lake lice and crowds.
Wow, you fish there a lot, must be close. I don't get more than a case a year but we only eat them once a week or so. I fish for walleye and perch more than the kokes but that's likely because it's an hour drive to the closest koke lake for me, around 20 min, to the closest walleye and perch lake.
(08-11-2020, 11:13 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(08-10-2020, 08:20 PM)MMDon Wrote: That was just Ririe. We would ice fish 5 days a week in the winter as soon as you could get on and we trolled every morning before opening the shop. We like to launch in the dark and be loaded back on the trailer about sunrise or sooner with a couple of limits. In the winter we would limit most mornings before it was barely light and head to work. I don't like to be on the water past 9:30 am as I hate lake lice and crowds.
Wow, you fish there a lot, must be close. I don't get more than a case a year but we only eat them once a week or so. I fish for walleye and perch more than the kokes but that's likely because it's an hour drive to the closest koke lake for me, around 20 min, to the closest walleye and perch lake.
21 minutes launched or drilling holes! LOL
Was a little tougher for us Saturday we only got 27 was a mixed bag of year classes of fish from 9-14” only 4 of them where hens the colored up fish where all bucks and as was stated earlier on this string the larger fish where down between 70-80 with the smaller fish 60-70 ft.

Attached Files Image(s)

Nice mess of fish! Did you have to dodge many boats out skiing, boarding, etc on Saturday?
(08-17-2020, 04:09 AM)psanders71 Wrote: Nice mess of fish!  Did you have to dodge many boats out skiing, boarding, etc on Saturday?
Yes, the power squadron was out in force , The lake is there for everyone's use and I expected a lot of traffic since I was fishing very close to the Juniper ramp, but I do take issue with the boats that thought it was necessary to drive through me and several boats that where fishing the same school, one of those big wake boats thought it would be cool to drive through between me and the bank when I was less than 100' of the bank. I'm glad I have a stout boat that can handle the wakes I wouldn't want to be out there in a smaller boat on the weekend.
(08-17-2020, 04:13 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
(08-17-2020, 04:09 AM)psanders71 Wrote: Nice mess of fish!  Did you have to dodge many boats out skiing, boarding, etc on Saturday?
Yes, the power squadron was out in force , The lake is there for everyone's use and I expected a lot of traffic since I was fishing very close to the Juniper ramp, but I do take issue with the boats that thought it was necessary to drive through me and several boats that where fishing the same school, one of those big wake boats thought it would be cool to drive through between me and the bank when I was less than 100' of the bank. I'm glad I have a stout boat that can handle the wakes I wouldn't want to be out there in a smaller boat on the weekend.
Great catch! Thanks for the pic!