Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Officially a Gumpy Old Man
So I took my FIL to Newton on Saturday, got there early before light to get set up, things don't move very quickly with a dementia ridden individual that's getting rather bullheaded and won't take suggestions like you need to wear your bibs to stay warm...  Well i left him in the truck while I got the tent set up and the heater going, taking him out on the smitty sounded like a battle with every bump causing one new pain or another... but I finally got him in the tent and fishing, and we parked in a great spot, we had lots of perch in the area and Rich caught 3 fish on his own, which is the first in a long time, as he has become more child like due to the effects of the disease, he has lost most of his fishing skills and likes to continually move his lure out to the strike zones... Well things were going really well considering the situation and the snow storm going on outside, we even seen some bass, bluegill and two tiger musky on the camera, even though we couldn't get them to bite.. Our count was getting up to 19 or so fish when all of a sudden less than 30 feet from my tent a group of three guys and a little boy came and set up right next to us, pulling out their gasser auger drilling more than a half dozen holes, noisy as a high school band... Not that I think I have rights to the whole lake, but there were tons of open area in the exact same type spot as I was in, and they came and had to set up right on top of us.  I was not very happy.. The fish didn't like the intrusion either, we ended up only catching maybe 3 more perch after they showed up.... I guess my request would be, don't be a jerk, folks get set up early so things settle down around them so they can catch fish, if you didn't get there in time to get your favorite spot, please try a new one and be courteous... give folks some space and try to be quiet...  Okay that's my GOM speech...  Ice is still 10+ inches, the edge margins looks bad, but is still holding okay, but I expect the new snow and moisture to raise the water level some, so watch the edges, may need a plank for a few days...  Fish though abundant were small, I think I had one that might have made 9", but most were 7"ers...  I did catch one bass that looked big on the camera, but was only about 11" when it came out the hole...   Rich had fun, even though I about froze him to death by the time I got him home... Well so he kept telling me, and he was only in the weather from the heated tent to the heated truck while being pulled by the snowmobile.. which didn't take too long...  Anyway it was fun, sort of a lot of work, but turned out well... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Good on you for taking him along. Yes you gotta love when people feel they need to be close to someone like that - seems its just the world we live in anymore.
(01-24-2021, 02:53 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: So I took my FIL to Newton on Saturday, got there early before light to get set up, things don't move very quickly with a dementia ridden individual that's getting rather bullheaded and won't take suggestions like you need to wear your bibs to stay warm...  Well i left him in the truck while I got the tent set up and the heater going, taking him out on the smitty sounded like a battle with every bump causing one new pain or another... but I finally got him in the tent and fishing, and we parked in a great spot, we had lots of perch in the area and Rich caught 3 fish on his own, which is the first in a long time, as he has become more child like due to the effects of the disease, he has lost most of his fishing skills and likes to continually move his lure out to the strike zones... Well things were going really well considering the situation and the snow storm going on outside, we even seen some bass, bluegill and two tiger musky on the camera, even though we couldn't get them to bite.. Our count was getting up to 19 or so fish when all of a sudden less than 30 feet from my tent a group of three guys and a little boy came and set up right next to us, pulling out their gasser auger drilling more than a half dozen holes, noisy as a high school band... Not that I think I have rights to the whole lake, but there were tons of open area in the exact same type spot as I was in, and they came and had to set up right on top of us.  I was not very happy.. The fish didn't like the intrusion either, we ended up only catching maybe 3 more perch after they showed up.... I guess my request would be, don't be a jerk, folks get set up early so things settle down around them so they can catch fish, if you didn't get there in time to get your favorite spot, please try a new one and be courteous... give folks some space and try to be quiet...  Okay that's my GOM speech...  Ice is still 10+ inches, the edge margins looks bad, but is still holding okay, but I expect the new snow and moisture to raise the water level some, so watch the edges, may need a plank for a few days...  Fish though abundant were small, I think I had one that might have made 9", but most were 7"ers...  I did catch one bass that looked big on the camera, but was only about 11" when it came out the hole...   Rich had fun, even though I about froze him to death by the time I got him home... Well so he kept telling me, and he was only in the weather from the heated tent to the heated truck while being pulled by the snowmobile.. which didn't take too long...  Anyway it was fun, sort of a lot of work, but turned out well... Later Jeff
Nice to still have some good guys around that are willing to take the really GOM out on the ice.  I sure hope when I get get that old that my boys will be mentally stout enough to put up with my lack of a good brain filter and waning fishing skills.  Too bad you can’t build a moat around your fishing spot or at least use your trebuchet to launch a few flaming balls at those who lack common curtesy these days. That’s what we used to do when I was a boy.  Big Grin
(01-24-2021, 02:53 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Our count was getting up to 19 or so fish when all of a sudden less than 30 feet from my tent a group of three guys and a little boy came and set up right next to us, pulling out their gasser auger drilling more than a half dozen holes, noisy as a high school band.
Bummer on the anal openings Jeff.  I guess you could be thankful they didn't come inside your tent to actually fish.   Big Grin 

With Hyrum & Rockport producing bigger perch this year, those are my go to spots this season.  I'm thinking Rockport this Wednesday and maybe Hyrum on Friday.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Nice to still have some good guys around that are willing to take the really GOM out on the ice. I sure hope when I get that old that my boys will be mentally stout enough to put up with my lack of a good brain filter and waning fishing skills. Good on you!

Too bad you can’t build a moat around your fishing spot or at least use your trebuchet to launch a few flaming balls at those who lack common curtesy these days. That’s what we used to do when I was a boy. Wink
Good on you Jeff, getting your FIL out fishing, under such challenging conditions. You will be blessed, but probably not in your lifetime.
Good on ya Jeff.  When I devolve a bit further into geezerhood I may just call on ya to prop me up a time or two.

Couldn't help reflecting on my fishing experiences with my dad.  One of the things I mentioned at his service was that he was the first to put a fishing rod in my hand...and I was the last to put one in his.  In between we shared a lot of good times on the water together.

Sorry about the "sociable" fellow tanglers.  Happened to me so many times I can't begin to count them.  One of the worst was when TubeBabe and I were way out in the middle of Pelican Lake...back in the good old days.  We were catching lots of BIG bluegills and even some nice largies.  Then a group on snowmobiles headed out from the east side and ran straight for us...all the way across the lake.  Couldn't believe it.  They actually surrounded us and started swiss cheesing the ice over a wide area...running their sleds around to look for new area.  Didn't have sonar in those days.  But usually didn't need it.  On that occasion I'm sure I would have seen the screen go from full to empty.  No more bites for the next hour...so we moved.  And wouldn't you know it.  As soon as we started catching fish, the ice power squadron packed  up and followed us.  I dusted off some of my most vitriolic vocabulary and it almost got physical.  Those folks just couldn't understand why I did not want their scintillating company.
Skunked/Jeff it happens to me all the time. I don't understand while people think drilling right on top of you is the best place to fish?? I have learned if i am heading out to a spot and someone else has already set up, its time to look for a new spot. I will usually drill a few hundred yards from them, or if traveling is easy, move on to a different location. Common courtesy is not an option for some people i guess??? Glad to hear you got him on the ice for some fishing!
Bob to your comments " I guess you could be thankful they didn't come inside your tent to actually fish" I offered my holes to a group of guys one morning at strawberry! they decided to fish and drill within 20 feet of me and my boy. It was early still pre-dawn, no one else in sight on the entire body of water yet! So i said if you are going to drill that close, just have these holes. we packed up and moved a long ways off. Me and my boy knocked them dead that day! The other guys that came right on top of us moved around a lot and left early. Maybe Karma does work once and a while.
I simply hate people any more. The vast majority are just like the morons in Skunkedagains experience. I’ve decided most are helpless and hopeless and couldn’t do for themselves, so they see others and come crowd you to find success. Zero courtesy in today’s world. I went hunting waterfowl at a state land wildlife management area a few years ago. I arrived well before dawn and broke ice in the dark to set out my decoys. Settled into my hand built blind and listened to Canadian geese talking in the predawn. I was the only person on a 20 acre pond and I even went to trouble to have written permission from a neighbor to access the land by crossing his. Some idiot showed up ten minutes before shooting time and came all the way to my open water before he realized my decoys weren’t real. So he throws his decoys out ten yards from
Mine. Two honkers came flying up the pond and he stood up and dumped them both. Gathered up his stuff and went right back across the private land to his truck. He was still there when I left. I asked him if he had permission and he mocked me for thinking the private land wasn’t state land. I lost my temper and told him off good. He decided to physically threaten me and that ended well. I knocked him on his a$$ and when he threatened to call the sheriff I handed him my phone. Deputy showed up and I figured I’d be going to jail. He talked to the guy and then to me and then he told the guy he’d arrest me for assault but he’d arrest him for assault, trespassing and shooting prior to legal shooting time. Suddenly he didn’t want to press the issue. I am not saying violence is the answer, but I will admit it sure felt good on that day. I go hunt and fish and camp to get away from people. And I live in a remote part of Utah with few neighbors. When idiots crowd you, regardless of pubic land, it sure ruins things quickly. Skunked- I’m happy you could take your FIL fishing with all the challenges. You will surely be blessed and made a big different in his life for those few hours. You’re a fine man and your handled thing much better than I did.
I try to keep a respectful distance from other people when setting up. What do you all think that distance should be?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

100' is a good starting distance. I try and stay as far away from people as I can.
Jeff, I sure hope my boys haul me out and sit me a chair when I get to that point. Thanks for sharing
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Jeff, you are a great Son-in-law.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
You guys and gals are all too nice, I didn’t intend this to be about me, other than I’m getting pretty crusty these days. On a regular trip where it’s easy to be mobile, I would have done that, but this trip the move wasn’t very practical. And like I think Pat mentioned after these guys set up apparently scaring all the fish away, I think I heard them catch one or two and then their buddies that they invited to come join them on the phone (because they were so close even a deaf old fart like me could hear everything they were saying). Anyway their buddies must have wanted to go to a different spot because they left after an hour or so. I was glad they didn’t come join them or they might have drilled a hole inside my tent. Anyway when I’m fishing with friends or folks I invite it’s a totally different thing, but most that I fish with know to keep noise down and they always add to the fun of the trip, guess I should have made them friends instead of growling, but I’ll blame it on COVID. Anyway thanks everyone for listening to my whining, now I’ll get back to fishing. Thanks all. Jeff

Here’s one of the fish and Rich, really like this bigger tent once I’m set up, kind of fun to have room for two to easily fish inside, especially in the snow storms like Saturday. Later J

[Image: 0632-DBBC-C911-464-A-8-F96-9202-E936-AA6-A.jpg]
Seems like you had plenty of reason to be growly about that. Obviously they were way too close. Myself I go fishing to get away from people, if I go to a fishing tournament I expect to get crowded.
(01-24-2021, 05:38 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Good on ya Jeff.  When I devolve a bit further into geezerhood I may just call on ya to prop me up a time or two.

Couldn't help reflecting on my fishing experiences with my dad.  One of the things I mentioned at his service was that he was the first to put a fishing rod in my hand...and I was the last to put one in his.  In between we shared a lot of good times on the water together.
Pat, you are more than welcome to call on me.. I’m kind of cranky but I’m getting it figured out how to make it happen. 

That thought from your Dads funeral is pretty touching, kind of makes a guys eyes water when I think of my Dad. Thanks Jeff

(01-25-2021, 03:27 AM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Seems like you had plenty of reason to be growly about that. Obviously they were way too close. Myself I go fishing to get away from people, if I go to a fishing tournament I expect to get crowded.
When you’re closer than the water is deep you’re probably too close. They were probably twice the depth of the water so if a tiger Muskie with some size nailed it I could have gotten tangled in their lines. To me it’s too close when there isn’t a reason to crowd in, the whole face of that dam fishes very similar so they could have went west of me and had plenty of room to not crowd anyone. I guess that is the thing that bugged me, was there was nice areas just a short distance away. Oh well they didn’t show till after 10:00 so we had already had a great day. I guess the biggest thing that bugs me, is that kind of behavior gives Utah fishermen a bad name so when I go to another state to fish I’ll probably be judged to be like them. I hope I’ve learned better behavior so I’ll be welcomed when I visit other areas. Thanks Jeff

(01-25-2021, 01:34 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Jeff, I sure hope my boys haul me out and sit me a chair when I get to that point. Thanks for sharing
I still owe you guys an ice trip. We better start thinking about that, the lower elevation ice has peaked I think and I expect we probably are two to three weeks at best left. I’m heading to the gorge next weekend so maybe the next if you’re up this way we can try to get you on some fish. Size and lower numbers Hyrum, numbers of fish probably Newton. Let me know if you’re still interested. Later Jeff

(01-25-2021, 02:34 AM)BURLEY Wrote: Jeff, you are a great Son-in-law.
Greatness is a guy that sticks his hand in the mouth of a tiger to save someone else’s first Muskie and then comes up all cut up from the battle. Sure appreciate you. Later Jeff

(01-24-2021, 05:23 PM)Jbworkin Wrote: Too bad you can’t build a moat around your fishing spot or at least use your trebuchet to launch a few flaming balls at those who lack common curtesy these days. That’s what we used to do when I was a boy.  Wink
Ya know I seen a video of someone who cut a circular island with a chain saw then spun the island like a carousel so his lines would troll in circles. You might be onto something there. Later Jeff

(01-24-2021, 04:54 PM)dubob Wrote:
With Hyrum & Rockport producing bigger perch this year, those are my go to spots this season.  I'm thinking Rockport this Wednesday and maybe Hyrum on Friday.
If I was going to be around I’d have joined you, but heading to the gorge to fish with Joe. Good luck, we had to move a bit last Hyrum trip, but there were still some really nice fish on the camera. I heard rumors of good fish on the west end, but I haven’t fished there yet to see if they are true. We fished 200 or more yards east of last years spot and closer to the north bank. That’s where we found them. Give me a call if you’d like more detail on that spot. Later Jeff

(01-24-2021, 06:29 PM)Bovineowner Wrote: Skunked- I’m happy you could take your FIL fishing with all the challenges. You will surely be blessed and made a big different in his life for those few hours. You’re a fine man and your handled thing much better than I did.
No I didn’t handle it very well, cuz I let it bother me. But you are right that it did make a difference for both Rich and his wife Vicky, it’s getting to be a terrible load for her to take care of a husband with failing memory. She really needs that break to try and recuperate from the load. So I’m kind of blessed to be able to take care of him while I do something that I love to do. Plus I don’t think my wife counts it as fishing time so it’s like free time for me. Double bonus. Later Jeff
(01-24-2021, 05:40 PM)liv2hunt Wrote: Maybe Karma does work once and a while.
Yup just like you mentioned their fishing wasn’t very good and they didn’t stay long. I think the blizzard might have helped with that. Their shelter wasn’t very big for that many to fish in. And they didn’t last long, too bad they ruined our bite, but we had already had a great morning. Plus I needed help to get me to quit anyway. Takes a long time to pick up when I set up in this mode. I was two hours from start to pick up until I got home that’s about 20 minutes away. Later Jeff

(01-24-2021, 10:51 PM)catchinon Wrote: I try to keep a respectful distance from other people when setting up. What do you all think that distance should be?
Ya know that really depends on the location, at Willard north marina, I think the distance is a lot less than other spots. When the bite is in a small area I think it’s more acceptable to fish closer, but I also think you need to be quiet and don’t spook the fish.

You can probably tell I’m getting to be an ice auger snob. I hate gasser drills with a passion. Electric is so much less intrusive. I’ve seen it so many times where that noise from the gas augers just spooks the fish. So if you use a gas auger limit the holes and time you run the auger and drill early so things can settle down. I have a 10” gas auger and I don’t think I’ve used it in four years because of the noise and bulkiness. Even though I love to use 10” holes to fish for bigger fish.

Anyway I think even in tight areas you should give 50-60’. On big lakes with similar terrain bump that up considerably. If someone is fishing a tabletop or mound on the gorge, move to the next one, unless it’s a big area. Like mentioned most like to fish for the social distancing, don’t break their social bubble. Unless they invite you to join them. Just my take on your question. Later Jeff

(01-24-2021, 05:38 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Good on you Jeff, getting your FIL out fishing, under such challenging conditions.  You will be blessed, but probably not in your lifetime.
Thanks Kent, but I am very blessed already. Rich did a wonderful job of raising my sweetheart and I can never repay what she means to me. So I lucked out and did get those blessings in this lifetime. If I can help him find a little happiness it’s a small repayment. Later Jeff

(01-24-2021, 03:43 PM)jjannie Wrote: Good on you for taking him along. Yes you gotta love when people feel they need to be close to someone like that  - seems its just the world we live in anymore.
Ya know they should know better than setting up next to me, with my record and title (SkunkedAgain) they probably could have found a better spot picker to set up next to. But oh well. Later Jeff
Jeff thanks for taking Dad out.  I wish I lived closer to help more I know Mom and Dad appreciate all that you and Terry do for them.  I wish I could take some of the headaches away from you.  Next time dad wants to go out let me know and I will do whatever I can to get up there and help get him out.  You are the man!!
(01-25-2021, 05:46 PM)big_griggs Wrote: Jeff thanks for taking Dad out.  I wish I lived closer to help more I know Mom and Dad appreciate all that you and Terry do for them.  I wish I could take some of the headaches away from you.  Next time dad wants to go out let me know and I will do whatever I can to get up there and help get him out.  You are the man!!
We'll have to try again soon before the ice is gone... Maybe on the 6th of February... I have taken him into Dad's and drove the truck to the edge of the river to try some ice fishing.. Works good to take him, but I can't get a fish to bite... 0 and 13 on Cutler so far this year... I have no idea why it's so dead this year... I mean it's never been a hot bite, but I can usually find one once in a while... not this year... Later Jeff
I really enjoy being out on my own. I won't even hunt where I think I might encounter more than one or two people in a day. But it's sometimes different when ice fishing. If I'm alone I like to check in with someone and ask if they mind if I set up near (not too near) them. Then I ask them to keep a watch out for me. My wife is afraid that I'll have an accident or a heart attack or something and no one will be there to help. I've never found anyone who was rude to me about it. I totally get what you are talking about but I've been gratified that there are so many nice people out there, too.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.