Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New nuclear reactor reactor coming to Wyo
I'm sure some of you are aware that they are trying eliminate coal from power plant generation but it looks like Kemmerer Wyoming will be getting a first of it's kind new high-tech nuclear reactor. Here is a link to the article:
 https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bill-gate...36692.html

Not sure this will effect us here in Utah, unless something goes wrong. I'm not trying to get into any kind of political debate here and I'm fine with coal powered power plants but Kemmerer is kind of close to us. I guess I'm just hoping nothing goes wrong, considering this is the first of it's kind power plant.
Im not fine with what were doing to the climate of this planet and continuing to deny were even doing it
if coal is so great
why does santa give it to the bad kids?
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom
Wonder why with all the windmills in the area generating power they need to go nuclear ?  
Seems like the wind power would make sense Sad
According to the article they were going to do it in China but that plan fell through, so then next place they could find, that was out in the boonies, was in Wyoming. This is a first of it's kind nuclear reactor, so they did not want to put in in a highly populated area, just in case things go wrong.
Additional wind farms are proposed to litter the landscape in Wyoming. 
I would think the current would be proposed plans in building dams/reservoirs across the western states [i]would address the water shortage issue as a priority, Water is Life[/i]

Six new wind farms proposed for Wyoming | Wind Energy News (wind-watch.org)
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(11-23-2021, 03:11 PM)Bduck Wrote: Additional wind farms are proposed to litter the landscape in Wyoming. 
I would think the current would be proposed plans in building dams/reservoirs across the western states [i]would address the water shortage issue as a priority, Water is Life[/i]

Six new wind farms proposed for Wyoming | Wind Energy News (wind-watch.org)

Isn't it funny that that environmentalists are against building dams that we all need for water in the west but are fine with windmills and solar farms Rolleyes.
as someone who spends a good bit of time walking the environmental talk, donating life skills and time engaged in fundraising to improve our waterways, river clean ups
planting willows at the berry, talking to school kids at environmental fairs, and trout in the classroom programs
to returning natives to streams thru TU, fish for garbage and other green orgs
you may be wrong in your assessment of "environmentalists" and keep talking the talk while we actually try to impact our enviorment in a positive manner
Read an interesting article today about dams in the US, of 75,000 that are here, only 2,600 produce electricity, that sure seems like a waste of a great opportunity to produce power. Any new dams that could be built should have the ability to produce power, built into them as part of the construction. With new tech, they can be so much more efficient than old tech. Here is a link to an article about this very thing:
https://news.yahoo.com/good-many-ways-be...18108.html
That's pretty interesting, looks like dams can be retrofitted to produce power.
(11-28-2021, 06:16 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: That's pretty interesting, looks like dams can be retrofitted to produce power.

That's what I was thinking too and it would be much more of a clean energy producer than most other power sources. It is a win win situation, build more dams to help store water, especially in the West and they can get more energy production in the process, what a deal Cool
Yea, more dams would be great, but don't think the bleeding hearts would let that happen, they're already trying to remove a bunch out here
(11-28-2021, 07:14 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Yea, more dams would be great, but don't think the bleeding hearts would let that happen, they're already trying to remove a bunch out here

I know what you mean Lyle but we can always hope that things will change. I'm reading they are starting to change their minds about nuclear power plants, so maybe there is hope hydro power plants will back in favor as well. Articles like the one above make me think there is hope but time will tell.
Hopefully things will change in the future, hydro power is great. I see they are blaming the demise of the salmon on dams, nobody mentions the over populated sea lions that are moving up the Columbia, and they're trying to get 5 dams removed from the snake river, don't think Idaho power is using any of them.
(11-28-2021, 10:06 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Hopefully things will change in the future, hydro power is great. I see they are blaming the demise of the salmon on dams, nobody mentions the over populated sea lions that are moving up the Columbia, and they're trying to get 5 dams removed from the snake river, don't think Idaho power is using any of them.

I think that is a different issue on bigger rivers like that, where they block salmon from running upriver, especially where they are not using them to generate power. There are plenty of smaller streams that could be used for power generation that would not effect salmon from spawning. From what I read on the Columbia, they are still using most of them for power production but you are saying it's 5 now that are being removed?  I totally agree with you about the out of control sea lion issue. They allow other animals to be harvested, why now sea lions Undecided
Yea, they're proposing to remove 5 on the snake river, I believe they are all defunct, even on the small streams I'm sure they'd find it would affect cutthroats or bull trout. I believe dams can be viable energy and with technology they could find a way to get migrating fish around them better than they have.
"times
they are a changin"
as does the term conservationist/environmentalist
maybe stop talkin loud and doing nothing and listen to the change
for a moment

good book good documentary
gives me hope
Fishskibum I respect your passion for protecting the environment. However I’d like ya to answer some questions please. What is an environmental acceptable method of power generation? Coal is out from your statement. Nuclear? Wind? Solar? Water? I’d like to hear which you prefer and why? Because I could argue each has environmental impacts with lasting issues. I’m typing this from a cell phone made completely with items that came from the earth. All were either mined or grown. Even after you decide on the acceptable way to generate power you still are faced with copper wire, wood or steel power poles, silicone based insulators and all of that comes from natural resources. Your home is built a from steel or wood and also includes concrete, fiberglass, gypsum and a hundred other things that came from Mother Earth. While it’s low hanging fruit to just ban coal, it’s means the world to the folks who mine and process and transport and use it for fuel to feed their families. So what is your preference?
We put solar on the crib
Cause rocky mountain power continued to raise our rates every year 7 to 15 % with not much better service and a we'll just burn more coal
business model and i think 2010 or 11 was the last year both the state and the feds gave a great rebate on cleaner power sources
i had to redo the roof reguardless
so we could continue to pay for a dirty source that kept costing more
or spend that hundred a month on a system that would power the crib for the same cost using a not pollute the air model and was on a tax deductible home eq loan
We bought a fixer upper when the market crashed and yeah i gots crete ,glass, gypsem and all that under my nails from remodeling and am aware that building phones solar panels etc aint green.
we refianced as it was a no brainer and paid off the home eq loan and now have a system that does the job is paid for doesnt need to pollute the air doesnt vote itself a rate increase and generates extra power that rmp sells to others and while net metering  our costs
the 17 days of triple digits ment running the ac to the point of more than the 8 bucks a month
and if and when it actually snows in the valley i need to get up on the roof and remove it for max solar potential,
but overall im pretty stoked on our personal solar experiences.
It works great for us
Next is affordable small batteries to be able to leave or power on once the grid stops or does the i guess we didnt see that coming super sized texas fail
and that technology is coming fast and strong
Snow and water mean the world to me and most of my friends use it for their livelihoods and to feed their fams
and they're in danger
The science doesnt lie
you can deny it or try and fake news it
but its there 
I have no problem with wind nor hydro if it doesnt block nor adversely affect the spawning and stocks of anadromous fishes
and i have empathy for those in the mining transporting and using coal industries,
The old man who taught me to fish, garden, build things with my hands and respect the great mother spent his life and vocation
making sure the Ft Wayne Indiana coal powered electric plant provided that community with the power they all needed to support their needs
I have fond memberberries from hanging out with him there on night shift
and i dont think Portugal doesnt care about them either
they are just choosing to not continue to use coal for power
because there are better cleaner planet friendly options .
Watch that documentary if ya git a chance that as down to earth as it gits MT rancher reminded me of you
I'd venmo ya the 2 bucks to watch it
but i live an app free life and hate that damn phone
(12-01-2021, 12:39 PM)fishskibum Wrote: We put solar on the crib
Cause rocky mountain power continued to raise our rates every year 7 to 15 % with not much better service and a we'll just burn more coal
business model and i think 2010 or 11 was the last year both the state and the feds gave a great rebate on cleaner power sources
i had to redo the roof reguardless
so we could continue to pay for a dirty source that kept costing more
or spend that hundred a month on a system that would power the crib for the same cost using a not pollute the air model and was on a tax deductible home eq loan
We bought a fixer upper when the market crashed and yeah i gots crete ,glass, gypsem and all that under my nails from remodeling and am aware that building phones solar panels etc aint green.
we refianced as it was a no brainer and paid off the home eq loan and now have a system that does the job is paid for doesnt need to pollute the air doesnt vote itself a rate increase and generates extra power that rmp sells to others and while net metering  our costs
the 17 days of triple digits ment running the ac to the point of more than the 8 bucks a month
and if and when it actually snows in the valley i need to get up on the roof and remove it for max solar potential,
but overall im pretty stoked on our personal solar experiences.
It works great for us
Next is affordable small batteries to be able to leave or power on once the grid stops or does the i guess we didnt see that coming super sized texas fail
and that technology is coming fast and strong
Snow and water mean the world to me and most of my friends use it for their livelihoods and to feed their fams
and they're in danger
The science doesnt lie
you can deny it or try and fake news it
but its there 
I have no problem with wind nor hydro if it doesnt block nor adversely affect the spawning and stocks of anadromous fishes
and i have empathy for those in the mining transporting and using coal industries,
The old man who taught me to fish, garden, build things with my hands and respect the great mother spent his life and vocation
making sure the Ft Wayne Indiana coal powered electric plant provided that community with the power they all needed to support their needs
I have fond memberberries from hanging out with him there on night shift
and i dont think Portugal doesnt care about them either
they are just choosing to not continue to use coal for power
because there are better cleaner planet friendly options .
Watch that documentary if ya git a chance that as down to earth as it gits MT rancher reminded me of you
I'd venmo ya the 2 bucks to watch it
but i live an app free life and hate that damn phone

Thanks for the reply sir. I think you are one of the most level headed conservationists I’ve ever talked to. I agree that we must take care of our planet. My stewardship of the land and water is one of my greatest sources of pride. I applaud you for the solar on your home. I hope battery technology improves and the waste stream to produce them also gets better. I will watch the documentary one evening soon. I’ve had a solar powered clothes dryer my entire life. (Clothes line) And windmills have pumped water for decades. We are switching some over to solar as well. Again, thanks for the response. You are a guy I’d like to spend a day or six with on the River. Thanks brother
were gonna engage at piscatorial pursuits at some point
i sure aint down with this nonsense
https://www.kbzk.com/news/montana-news/c...after-drop
NorthWestern Energy
"got sum splaining to do"
as desi would say
[piss off head shaking emoji]