Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge Utah Side Kokanee Questions?
I am not seeing any positive Kokanee reports so far this Summer from The Gorge in The Dam area.
We will be there next week and I was wondering if anyone has any helpful tips for that area?

Are the Kokanee numbers down or is it something else that is causing the poor fishing conditions for Kokanee this year?
The anglers in the know are tight lipped. For good reason too since they don't want tons of boats on top of their "spots". Good luck out there.
(07-11-2022, 06:10 PM)GrandpaD 2020 Wrote: I am not seeing any positive Kokanee reports so far this Summer from The Gorge in The Dam area.
We will be there next week and I was wondering if anyone has any helpful tips for that area?

Are the Kokanee numbers down or is it something else that is causing the poor fishing conditions for Kokanee this year?

Yes, koke numbers are down this year....hard to pinpoint where they're at in numbers, where it seemed a lot easier 2,3,4 years ago...I'll be up for a few days starting tomorrow, and maybe I can give you some general info when I get back...Not my boat this time, so if we do well, I'd have to agree with what Bear Lake FG said, and probably not say right where we were...if we do lousy, I'll gladly tell you where we were, and that may be good intel for you also, so you could skip that area...
Well things have sure changed here.
I will try to remember to not post my trip to the Gorge.
Sure don't want to make anyone mad by giving out useful intel.
We normally get a lot of Gorge koke reports but they do tend to be more Wyoming side or areas closer to the border. If you scroll back or search you will find a few from this year with some general info that may help you. I can't remember the last time I read a koke report from the dam area, but I bet a few of our FG regulars will see this soon and share a few thoughts. Generally, the reports this year seem to suggest a tougher year for kokes. Hopefully not. I have also not heard much from the bass guys. Curious how they have been doing. I hope you find a school that are so anxious to go home with you that they bring thier own sauce. If I could help you more I would
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(07-12-2022, 02:11 PM)GrandpaD 2020 Wrote: Well things have sure changed here.

I don’t think anything has changed, people have always been more or less willing to share information. I tend to fall on the side of having no secrets. I think that between high gas prices and catching being a little tougher this year fewer members are making the long drive over to the Gorge so there may not be anybody that likes to share intel with a recent report, there are very few recent Gorge reports on any of the groups and pages. The ones I have seen and the folks I have talked to seem to be finding more numbers on the Utah side this year but everyone seems to have to really search for the larger kokes this year. I have not been there since May but when I was there we got them on RMT pink plankton hoochies with a small Colorado blade behind a 4.5” sling blade. My rule of sharing spots is if I found it on my own I’m more than happy to share it on the open forum but if someone turned me on to a spot I won’t post it publicly unless they specifically give me permission to share it. I’m sending you a pm with an area that you may want to start your search. I encourage you to continue to share at whatever level your comfortable with.
(07-12-2022, 02:49 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
(07-12-2022, 02:11 PM)GrandpaD 2020 Wrote: Well things have sure changed here.

I don’t think anything has changed, people have always been more or less willing to share information. I tend to fall on the side of having no secrets. I think that between high gas prices and catching being a little tougher this year fewer members are making the long drive over to the Gorge so there may not be anybody that likes to share intel with a recent report, there are very few recent Gorge reports on any of the groups and pages. The ones I have seen and the folks I have talked to seem to be finding more numbers on the Utah side this year but everyone seems to have to really search for the larger kokes this year. I have not been there since May but when I was there we got them on RMT pink plankton hoochies with a small Colorado blade behind a 4.5” sling blade. My rule of sharing spots is if I found it on my own I’m more than happy to share it on the open forum but if someone turned me on to a spot I won’t post it publicly unless they specifically give me permission to share it. I’m sending you a pm with an area that you may want to start your search. I encourage you to continue to share at whatever level your comfortable with.

Got your PM.
Thanks for your help.
My grandkids also thank you.
They look forward to going with us to the Gorge and fish for the Kokanee and the Mac Pups.
as I stated in my first reply, I'd be up there for 3 days fishing, but not my boat...just got back..if you really want to take grandkids to the dam area, good luck...we caught some kokes there, but very slow...we caught NO pups there, and usually we'll get a few while targeting kokes..I have a friend that was taking his grandson there for this weekend, and he wanted to get the boy into pups also, and he was heading to Buckboard...As we were leaving Manila today, we stopped and talked to a friend who also had fished this morning at Buckboard, and said he and his wife had caught over 30 small laker pups...so I think my friend will do well there with his grandson...hope you have a big boat, 'cuz the winds got pretty nasty, at least the 2 days we were in the dam area...have fun with the grandkids, and Guluk...
(07-15-2022, 04:56 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: as I stated in my first reply, I'd be up there for 3 days fishing, but not my boat...just got back..if you really want to take grandkids to the dam area, good luck...we caught some kokes there, but very slow...we caught NO pups there, and usually we'll get a few while targeting kokes..I have a friend that was taking his grandson there for this weekend, and he wanted to get the boy into pups also, and he was heading to Buckboard...As we were leaving Manila today, we stopped and talked to a friend who also had fished this morning at Buckboard, and said he and his wife had caught over 30 small laker pups...so I think my friend will do well there with his grandson...hope you have a big boat, 'cuz the winds got pretty nasty, at least the 2 days we were in the dam area...have fun with the grandkids, and Guluk...

Thanks you for your report.
Looks like fishing may be slow in general right now.
We will make the best of what we have and enjoy our time there.