Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mantua reservoir ice conditions - Sunday
I walked around the perimeter of the reservoir this afternoon to check the ice conditions and see if anyone was or has been ice fishing.  About 90% of the surface is covered with ice, the only open water areas are along the west dike and the southeast stream inlet.  Most of the ice is about 1 1/2 inches thick.  There were two holes that had been drilled about 40 feet offshore just south of the point on the east side where the water is about 8 feet deep.  I didn't walk out for a closer look but couldn't see any evidence that any fish had been caught.  I think those holes were made yesterday and not today. To me all of the ice looks unsafe at this point.  The reservoir is full and water is going over the spillway. 

[Image: Mantua1.jpg]

[Image: Mantua2.jpg]
Thank you for a very informative post. Those guys are crazy to push it that thin. Dang it’s supposed to really warmup the next few days. That will probably end that sheet of ice. Hope not but it doesn’t look good. Too bad we didn’t get 3-4 more inches and it might hold. Thank you. J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Let's hope it gets a little colder and stays that way for long enough to get a few inches on it.
Undecided Not worth ice fishing on that thin of ice. I like a good 4 to 5 inch hard ice minimum that can handle my body to die for Exclamation ------- Well that's if I tripped and fell on someone! Yep not a skinny guy. Big Grin Tongue