Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One lure to rule them all
(01-12-2024, 05:37 PM)wormandbobber Wrote:
(01-11-2024, 10:55 PM)TubeDude Wrote: I never sneeze to be demazed at the number of anglers who fish the same lures, the same way, in the same waters all year long...just because they caught fish on them one time.  ...or, that is the only lure they know how to fish.

Much better to accumulate a good mental database of info on the various waters you fish...for the species you target most...at different times of the year under different weather and water conditions.  And then go prepared with a range of lures that should produce under the prevailing conditions...and be prepared to go to plan B or C if plan A doesn't work.

But whatever you do, have fun and enjoy the experience.  The success of a fishing trip is not always measured by the number of fish you catch.  At least it shouldn't be.

Actually, I've found the exact opposite to be true...I think too many anglers have too many options, too many plans, and are never confident enough in plan A to figure out how to make it work. Personally, I believe the same lures will work throughout the year with the right locations and presentation mixed in. I believe too many anglers complicate fishing way too much with having too large of a tackle box. Learn a method, master it, and most fishermen will have more success.
I agree.  The only point I was trying to make is that some anglers get in a rut (a grave with the ends kicked out).  They fish the same thing the same way out of habit or laziness...or economics...not because it is likely to be the best thing to use on any particular day.  

In my younger years I spent some time fishing competitively for bass in California.  Had some older and wiser mentors who insisted that every time I got a new rod, reel or lure that I take it out and fish it exclusively and hard until I mastered it...or found it not worthy of including in my arsenal.  You learn a lot about your tackle...and yourself...if you do that kind of thing.  

I also have my fave lures and techniques.  But I have been a lifelong student of all things fishing and I am always open to trying new things.  So I am constantly playing around with new ideas...and some of them actually work.  But if they don't, I move on and don't cry about it.
Been a very long time since I jumped on this board.  Truly enjoy seeing some old faves are still around.  My name signifies I fly fish, which I do and I am old school when it comes to this.  I never have been a wooly Bugger user.  I swear by old school Nymph and for bigger alway start with a Gartside softhackle.  But I am not a fly fishing snob.  I think the one thing that is a guarantee for any level of fisher is good ol' worm and bobber.  But, I do have to try the fly first. Ha, ha.
I agree that we anglers over think things and the tackle makers love it. Wink  It's like Pat said just don't get stuck fishing with the same stuff that worked the last time if it isn't working.

I think the reason that more folks don't get into fly fishing is because the fishing shows try to make it sound too complicated, it's not, just some different terminology, equipment and methods.  It took everyone awhile to figure out whatever type of fishing they prefer and how they want to catch fish.  

Just have fun out there! Smile
Glow/white tube jig. Deadly on my 3 favorite waters, Green River, Strawberry, and Flaming Gorge.
1/4 oz jig with a tail, catch fish everywhere I've been, open water or through the ice.
As my name implies, I like jigs. All shapes, sizes and even colors. If I'm casting or vertical fishing, I usually start with some type of jig. 

I do use a lot of different lures, flies and bait . Just depends on the water fished and what species I'm after. I'm not a purist, I would rather catch fish than mess around all day flinging jigs if they aren't working.
Good heavens, did we fail to understand the question.
If you were stranded on a deserted Island, and you could only have one lure (help?).
(accumulate a good data base? range of lures?)
its just a fun question.

So in all your cataloging, you go to your multiple fishing boxes and pick?

I have pondered this question for many years.............

Krocodile spoon for me.
troll, jig, cast. lakes and river's and kokes
For me it depends on whether I'm fishing a river or lake. If on a river it would either be a Panter Martin spinner or a sinking Rapala. On lakes it would be a white tube jig tipped with either a night crawler or chub meat.
Very interesting the different perspectives. I have hundreds of lures, dozens of categories, types, sizes and colors. My most successful lure in my boxes has been a #8 Rapala X-Rap. I've caught largemouth, smallmouth, wiper, bluegill, perch, crappie, trout, pike, etc. However, if I had to choose one lure for all situations - lake, stream, open water or ice - I'd choose a small 1/16 oz feather or hair jig in black. To me it has the most versatility for all situations. I've caught a ton of fish on it and it usually gets at least a few biters. How I would hate to be limited. I love having lots of options so I rarely go home skunked.