Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard if finally improving
Got out to the South marina of Willard yesterday with wiperslayer and 2knots. Last week the North dock was several feet in the water, so you had to wade to get on it, this week they pulled it up so high that it blocks the first two parking lanes Sad We launched around 7am and headed over to the West side of the lake and started bottom bouncing at .8 mph. The catching was pretty consistent early and before long we had 5 eyes in the boat, We had planned to start trolling cranks, when things slowed down but it stayed pretty steady all morning and around noon, we had 11 eyes in the boat, 5 cats and 3 perch. We keep at it and by 2pm, when we called it a day, we had 15 eyes, two of which were babies, so we threw back to grow some more. All in all a great day on the pond with good friends. No pics from my last few post because for some reason my phone won't send the pics to my email account, still trying to figure it out. I can send text with pics but cant's send them to my email accounts. Sad This problem seemed to happen right after my phone did an update.
(05-25-2024, 01:16 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Got out to the South marina of Willard yesterday with wiperslayer and 2knots. Last week the North dock was several feet in the water, so you had to wade to get on it, this week they pulled it up so high that it blocks the first two parking lanes Sad We launched around 7am and headed over to the West side of the lake and started bottom bouncing at .8 mph. The catching was pretty consistent early and before long we had 5 eyes in the boat, We had planned to start trolling cranks, when things slowed down but it stayed pretty steady all morning and around noon, we had 11 eyes in the boat, 5 cats and 3 perch. We keep at it and by 2pm, when we called it a day, we had 15 eyes, two of which were babies, so we threw back to grow some more. All in all a great day on the pond with good friends. No pics from my last few post because for some reason my phone won't send the pics to my email account, still trying to figure it out. I can send text with pics but cant's send them to my email accounts. Sad This problem seemed to happen right after my phone did 
I go directly from my phone to my post, I just open my post on the browser on my phone and do it exactly like I do on my computer.
I tried to do it from my phone but could not get it to post but finally figured out a way to send it to my email. Good seeing you guys out there yesterday. Here is the pic of the limit I took home.

[Image: walleye-limit-Willard.jpg]
Looks like you have it dialed in Curt.  Me, not so much.  Earl and I went to the Gorge Tuesday and fished that day and the next morning.  Three kokes total for our efforts.  Caught over a dozen bows on Wednesday.  Didn't fish Thursday due to bad weather - 20 mph winds.  I hope to get out to Willard this coming Tuesday. 
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(05-25-2024, 04:37 PM)dubob Wrote: Looks like you have it dialed in Curt.  Me, not so much.  Earl and I went to the Gorge Tuesday and fished that day and the next morning.  Three kokes total for our efforts.  Caught over a dozen bows on Wednesday.  Didn't fish Thursday due to bad weather - 20 mph winds.  I hope to get out to Willard this coming Tuesday. 
Me too.
It's looking like next week we might finally get a week of more stable weather, so that should improve the catching for everyone. One thing I forgot to mention, water temp was around 56 degrees when we arrived and got up to 62 before we left.
(05-25-2024, 04:37 PM)dubob Wrote: Looks like you have it dialed in Curt.  Me, not so much.  Earl and I went to the Gorge Tuesday and fished that day and the next morning.  Three kokes total for our efforts.  Caught over a dozen bows on Wednesday.  Didn't fish Thursday due to bad weather - 20 mph winds.  I hope to get out to Willard this coming Tuesday. 

We just found a good spot and stayed on them, we were in a small area, not much bigger than a football field. Too bad your Gorge trip did not turn out so well, seems like another poor koke catching year there, except for a few members. Good luck on Tues.
Good to see you and Ira out there Friday,
[Image: IMG-3717.jpg]

[Image: IMG-4022.jpg]

[Image: IMG-4026.jpg]
(05-26-2024, 12:51 PM)petty4life Wrote: Good to see you and Ira out there Friday,

You as well, Jason. those fish nuggets look tasty. Were those guys fishing with you co worker?
(05-26-2024, 05:54 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(05-26-2024, 12:51 PM)petty4life Wrote: Good to see you and Ira out there Friday,

You as well, Jason. those fish nuggets look tasty. Were those guys fishing with you co worker?
No one was my youngest son the other is my soon to be son in law
(05-26-2024, 09:48 PM)petty4life Wrote:
(05-26-2024, 05:54 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

No one was my youngest son the other is my soon to be son in law

Wow, your son has grown since the last time I saw him, guess it's been a while.
Went out again Monday, was a little slower
[Image: image000000.jpg]
(05-28-2024, 08:46 AM)petty4life Wrote: Went out again Monday, was a little slower

I wonder if it was because of all the boat traffic from the weekend, were there a lot of boats out there yesterday?
(05-28-2024, 01:23 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(05-28-2024, 08:46 AM)petty4life Wrote: Went out again Monday, was a little slower

I wonder if it was because of all the boat traffic from the weekend, were there a lot of boats out there yesterday?

I went out yesterday too after wipers.  In a few hours the only thing I caught trolling cranks was a carp.  At least that was new.  Never caught a carp on a crank.

I didn't feel like there were a TON of boats running around, but there were a lot of them.  The whole parking lot was filled with trailers by the time we got off the water around 13:30.
I know that some members said they'd be going out there today. I'm going to try to make it Thursday. Will launch North to see if there are any crappie in the marina and failing that, try for wallies.
I went Saturday after the rain got one in the boat not long after starting had another one one while setting it back that came off then nothing for the rest of the evening Willard being Willard
(05-28-2024, 06:38 PM)Bubman1 Wrote: I went Saturday after the rain got one in the boat not long after starting had another one one while setting it back that came off then nothing for the rest of the evening Willard being Willard

It can be tough fishing after a storm goes through. What was the one you caught, a wiper or a walleye? Were you trolling cranks?
(05-28-2024, 05:39 PM)BoatBallast Wrote:
(05-28-2024, 01:23 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

I went out yesterday too after wipers.  In a few hours the only thing I caught trolling cranks was a carp.  At least that was new.  Never caught a carp on a crank.

I didn't feel like there were a TON of boats running around, but there were a lot of them.  The whole parking lot was filled with trailers by the time we got off the water around 13:30.

Did you catch the carp in the mouth or was it snagged? We have snagged a bunch of carp over the years but very few were caught in the mouth. Did you launch from the North marina?
(05-28-2024, 06:33 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I know that some members said they'd be going out there today. I'm going to try to make it Thursday. Will launch North to see if there are any crappie in the marina and failing that, try for wallies.

Good luck on Thursday Rocky.
(05-28-2024, 09:04 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(05-28-2024, 06:38 PM)Bubman1 Wrote: I went Saturday after the rain got one in the boat not long after starting had another one one while setting it back that came off then nothing for the rest of the evening Willard being Willard

It can be tough fishing after a storm goes through. What was the one you caught, a wiper or a walleye? Were you trolling cranks?
I was trolling bottom bouncers haven't got one yet on a crank bait  I also haven't found any wipers yet this year either. I usually do pretty good right after a rain storm if it's warm enough