Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone getting out for some fishing?
Haven't read much from you guys in a while, just wondering how the catching has been lately?
Have had the boat out to Ririe a couple of times over the past few weeks... 1st trip tallied 3 rainbows and 2nd trip tallied 2 rainbows and 2 smallies. All the rainbows were the typical stockers and the smallies were tiny. Tried pulling plugs and bait rigs as well as tossing plugs and jigs towards shore. Water is high and the closer you get to Willow Creek the cloudier the water is. From talking to others at the ramp and on the water, pretty similar results with most getting some rainbows. Not a very impressive start to 2024 for me.
(06-04-2024, 12:00 AM)psanders71 Wrote: Have had the boat out to Ririe a couple of times over the past few weeks... 1st trip tallied 3 rainbows and 2nd trip tallied 2 rainbows and 2 smallies.  All the rainbows were the typical stockers and the smallies were tiny.  Tried pulling plugs and bait rigs as well as tossing plugs and jigs towards shore.  Water is high and the closer you get to Willow Creek the cloudier the water is.  From talking to others at the ramp and on the water, pretty similar results with most getting some rainbows.  Not a very impressive start to 2024 for me.

Well that's a bummer, I was hoping to hear Ririe was doing better. Hopefully the catching will improve after the runoff is over. Thanks for the report.
I haven't found time yet, heard the lake is still pretty cloudy, but lots of wind and rain lately keeping it stirred up.
(06-04-2024, 01:58 AM)meancuznalfy Wrote: I haven't found time yet, heard the lake is still pretty cloudy, but lots of wind and rain lately keeping it stirred up.

That's too bad, I've been wondering if you were getting out any. Should be a higher level on the lake this year.
Yea, days off have been crappy, it should be a lot more this year, plenty of snow to come down yet from what I hear.
(06-04-2024, 01:40 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Yea, days off have been crappy, it should be a lot more this year, plenty of snow to come down yet from what I hear.

I can't speak for Idaho but we are done with the snow here and predictions are calling for above average temps.
We've had some snow last couple weeks up high, most of it will probably come down this week with the way above average temps forecasted.
I've fished the Springer Run in Oregon for Chinook for 3 different
[Image: SK-2024-5-20-001.jpg]

weeks and it was lights out each trip. Spectacular fishing and great scenery!
(06-05-2024, 08:10 PM)MMDon Wrote: I've fished the Springer Run in Oregon for Chinook for 3 different

Nice, too bad they don't grow that big in fresh water.
(06-05-2024, 10:07 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-05-2024, 08:10 PM)MMDon Wrote: I've fished the Springer Run in Oregon for Chinook for 3 different

The F&G in many Western states screwed up our Kokanee so bad they were able to kill off whole 3 year generations in multiple lakes by planting diseased fish. I finally just sold my boat so I could spend my time on coastal rivers and eventually retire in Oregon. 
[Image: SK-2024-4-21-001.jpg]

[Image: SK-2024-4-30-011.jpg]
(06-06-2024, 04:27 AM)MMDon Wrote:

The F&G in many Western states screwed up our Kokanee so bad they were able to kill off whole 3 year generations in multiple lakes by planting diseased fish. I finally just sold my boat so I could spend my time on coastal rivers and eventually retire in Oregon. 

Those are truly some amazing fish, you must eat a lot of salmon. Do you think that was one of the reasons the koke fishing or catching has been in a decline the last few years, because the F&G planted diseased fish?
(06-06-2024, 01:29 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Those are truly some amazing fish, you must eat a lot of salmon. Do you think that was one of the reasons the koke fishing or catching has been in a decline the last few years, because the F&G planted diseased fish?

Thank you. I eat fish 4 times a week. If we weren't seeing repeats of this problem in most Western fisheries I would probably blame an anomaly on the biomass but to have Anderson look like Ririe is a bridge to far. I think it's an internal fish production problem that when released in the lake takes out most of the fish in a common shoal. It's the only way you lost 3 years of fish every time.
(06-06-2024, 10:37 PM)MMDon Wrote:

Thank you. I eat fish 4 times a week. If we weren't seeing repeats of this problem in most Western fisheries I would probably blame an anomaly on the biomass but to have Anderson look like Ririe is a bridge to far. I think it's an internal fish production problem that when released in the lake takes out most of the fish in a common shoal. It's the only way you lost 3 years of fish every time.
Well that's a bummer. Alan(2knots), is up at Anderson ranch this week, hope he has better luck.
(06-07-2024, 12:17 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-05-2024, 10:07 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Nice, too bad they don't grow that big in fresh water.

Well that's a bummer. Alan(2knots), is up at Anderson ranch this week, hope he has better luck.
I've known Alan for 20 years. Hopefully they will score. A lot of people haven't done much better than a couple per day.
(06-07-2024, 08:16 PM)MMDon Wrote:
(06-06-2024, 04:27 AM)MMDon Wrote: The F&G in many Western states screwed up our Kokanee so bad they were able to kill off whole 3 year generations in multiple lakes by planting diseased fish. I finally just sold my boat so I could spend my time on coastal rivers and eventually retire in Oregon. 

I've known Alan for 20 years. Hopefully they will score. A lot of people haven't done much better than a couple per day.
Here is what Alan caught today, so it appears things are improving at AR.

[Image: anderson-ranch-kokes.jpg]
(06-07-2024, 10:12 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-06-2024, 01:29 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Those are truly some amazing fish, you must eat a lot of salmon. Do you think that was one of the reasons the koke fishing or catching has been in a decline the last few years, because the F&G planted diseased fish?

[Image: anderson-ranch-kokes.jpg]
That's awesome! He's the man!

I saw some nice fish come out of the Gorge today as well! Hopefully things are looking up. For me, I'm headed back to the coast to chase Salmon!
(06-08-2024, 04:51 AM)MMDon Wrote:
(06-06-2024, 10:37 PM)MMDon Wrote: Thank you. I eat fish 4 times a week. If we weren't seeing repeats of this problem in most Western fisheries I would probably blame an anomaly on the biomass but to have Anderson look like Ririe is a bridge to far. I think it's an internal fish production problem that when released in the lake takes out most of the fish in a common shoal. It's the only way you lost 3 years of fish every time.

I saw some nice fish come out of the Gorge today as well! Hopefully things are looking up. For me, I'm headed back to the coast to chase Salmon!

I don't blame you there, with the size of those coastal salmon, one or two will make up a days catch on most freshwater lakes.
(06-08-2024, 01:13 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-08-2024, 04:51 AM)MMDon Wrote:
(06-07-2024, 12:17 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Well that's a bummer. Alan(2knots), is up at Anderson ranch this week, hope he has better luck.

I don't blame you there, with the size of those coastal salmon, one or two will make up a days catch on most freshwater lakes.

We get some even bigger. 
[Image: GB-2023-8-7-004.jpg]

[Image: GB-2023-10-10-003.jpg]
Wow, those are some impressive fish, how much do they weigh or how long were they?