Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle report Wed. 6/26
Decided to give Jordy a try for Kokes. From so/so reports or lack of much consistent success, I decided to try areas I caught fish several years back. Didn’t get on the water until 8:30 traffic was a mess with accident and construction. It took twice as long as normal to get there. Going earlier would have been better to avoid traffic. My wife came along so planned an easy trip for just a few hours. Well kokes did not show in the old spots from the past. Rainbows on the other hand were out to play hooked about 18 plus minus landed 10, lost a few on jumps and a couple at the boat. Moved to the more common recent areas for kokes. I had one koke jump and off all the other action was rainbows again. Pretty nice bows the biggest ones measured 18 inches average 15-16 inches. Gut all of them on Koke gear, squids-dodgers. Depth from 5 feet to 35 feet on downriggers at about 1.5 mph. Nice day to be out not much wind little overcast cooler than the valley. Ended up keeping 5 bows once I figured kokes were not happening for us. Fun day but not what I was looking for. Only saw 3 other fishing boats. Fished from 8:30 till 1 pm, with a break to let the dog swim and retrieve a few times.
[Image: IMG-3961.jpg]
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
Sounds like a "cool" outing, minus the hassles. Thanks for the report and picture, those look like healthy bows!
Was the wind much of an issue? I have a small 16’ fishing boat.
(06-27-2024, 12:51 AM)Mildog Wrote: Decided to give Jordy a try for Kokes. From so/so reports or lack of much consistent success, I decided to try areas I caught fish several years back. Didn’t get on the water until 8:30 traffic was a mess with accident and construction. It took twice as long as normal to get there. Going earlier would have been better to avoid traffic. My wife came along so planned an easy trip for just a few hours. Well kokes did not show in the old spots from the past. Rainbows on the other hand were out to play hooked about 18 plus minus landed 10, lost a few on jumps and a couple at the boat. Moved to the more common recent areas for kokes. I had one koke jump and off all the other action was rainbows again. Pretty nice bows the biggest ones measured 18 inches average 15-16 inches. Gut all of them on Koke gear, squids-dodgers. Depth from 5 feet to 35 feet on downriggers at about 1.5 mph. Nice day to be out not much wind little overcast cooler than the valley. Ended up keeping 5 bows once I figured kokes were not happening for us. Fun day but not what I was looking for. Only saw 3 other fishing boats. Fished from 8:30 till 1 pm, with a break to let the dog swim and retrieve a few times.
[Image: IMG-3961.jpg]

Thanks for the report.  I'm debating on going up there tomorrow morning, or Rockport.  I think this post made the decision for us.
I’m thinking along the same lines myself. Can always switch to looking for SMB and or perch. Trying to decide if and where I
Might go??
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
Rainbows are on fire at Jordanelle -Kokanee not so much. I had same results as Mildog today 20ish rainbows with half as many long line releasing. For some reason every fish wanted to go airborne today. Bows are the Jordanelle version of Berry cutts.
But they fight a lot better.
Out of curiosity (because I am also trying to figure out where to go on Sat), what were your best color combinations at Jordy?
For me pink and pink/purple plankton squids. Moon Jelly, Wonder Bread and pink prism dodgers.
I was there with Verdean today as well. We used Moon Jelly and Red/Purple dodgers with purple/pink squid. On Jordanelle I also tip with white shoepeg corn flavored with the oil from a can of sardines. I can't prove it but I think I do better on Jordanelle with the corn than the pink maggots. Messy though. See my report on premium board.
Thanks for the explanations guys. I might try Rockport and see how trolling goes. If nothing there, cast the shore for smallies sounds like a good backup plan.
(06-28-2024, 03:40 AM)brookie Wrote: I was there with Verdean today as well. We used Moon Jelly and Red/Purple dodgers with purple/pink squid. On Jordanelle I also tip with white shoepeg corn flavored with the oil from a can of sardines. I can't prove it but I think I do better on Jordanelle with the corn than the pink maggots. Messy though. See my report on premium board.

Definitely messy, but that tip has helped me catch many a Koke this year. I also put the anise in the jar of pink maggots. That’s beyond messy.
I cheat and put corn flavored oil and garlic in my pink maggot jars and let them stew for a month or so. Messy and smelly but works. I've tried shoepeg corn with mixed results.