Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport 6/29
Went and fished Rockport yesterday with my son and a brother-in-law who is trying to learn how to hunt and fish.  Honestly Cowboy Pirates comment about smallies and perch being available was the deciding factor; however the catching for trout was so good trolling that we never did go after the other fish. 

We put in and had lines in the water by 6:45.  Fished a quarter mile loop south of the launch and on the east side of the lake.  The bite was fairly consistent most of the morning with only a couple 20-30 minute lulls.  We got off the lake at 1pm.  Most of the fish (all bows) were caught 15-25 feet down at a speed of between 1.7-2mph.  Tackle used were Purple and Pink Fire Ice or UV Pink Hyper dodgers with UV pink and pink haze super squids tipped with pink maggots.  Most of the fish were in the 15-16” range with a few smaller and bigger and we probably boated 25-30 and lost another 15 or so.

It was a good trip.  I don’t have a fishing boat and as said, my brother-in-law is a relative newbie, so it was good to get him out to catch some fish.  He even commented that it was his best day out for trout, so between that and watching my son get excited to bring in fish after fish, it was a good morning!
Nice going Mike...so, did you use your duck boat for trolling? no reason not to if the wind isn't knocking you around...good to hear you got out and had some success with new fishers..any chance you had your boat inspected by the resident dnr agent?
(06-30-2024, 05:19 PM)Jmorfish Wrote: Nice going Mike...so, did you use your duck boat for trolling? no reason not to if the wind isn't knocking you around...good to hear you got out and had some success with new fishers..any chance you had your boat inspected by the resident dnr agent?

From your question it sounds like they inspected your boat when you were there?
Glad they abliged with a positive bite. We are taking a bunch of minions in the morning to see if they can get thier first fish
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(06-30-2024, 07:04 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-30-2024, 05:19 PM)Jmorfish Wrote: Nice going Mike...so, did you use your duck boat for trolling? no reason not to if the wind isn't knocking you around...good to hear you got out and had some success with new fishers..any chance you had your boat inspected by the resident dnr agent?

From your question it sounds like they inspected your boat when you were there?

Yeah, new young guy, didn't get his name...did a complete insp. by his checklist..I think he was frustrated that he didn't find anything wrong/missing, so he advised me that I should move my boat numbers to a different location...what a joke..those numbers have been there probably since the boat was first on water, so  I just let him do his talk and didn't respond..
We arrived at 6:15 and no one was at the entry checkpoint and no one was at the ramp either. I was surprised because I assumed we would get checked on a Saturday.
Move your numbers!! I doubt that he has ever had to put numbers on a boat! The number I got assigned had 4 3"s in it, so I had to spend another 25 bucks on a second set to get the xtra 2-3's. I ain't moving my numbers for anyone !!

PS: could't find singles any where, had to get a whole set !!