Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAWTOOTHS rockhounding Dusky Quartz
In the Idaho fishing section I posted a lengthy report on our Sawtooth Adventure and teased a 4th video from that trip with respect to our rockhounding 

It may have been my favorite part. I love chasing in to wild rugged areas to explore and rockhound and the trail creek area did not disappoint. Some crazy rough roads. One I ended up backing out a mile or so before I could turn. And we found a few real prize sample of dusky quartz that I have wanted to add to the collection.

Here is the final video of that series. Can't wait to wander that way again

https://youtu.be/iNuqLd4Ro94?si=YxSVmxUj9d90Q5BP
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
What do you do with the rocks you find?
(07-06-2024, 01:15 AM)meancuznalfy Wrote: What do you do with the rocks you find?

Great question. Like most rockhounders I have a few display areas in my house for my favorite finds. Some are rare or high quality and some are just related to fond memories. And like most rockhounders I have boxes stored of all the others that I have great plans for projects like cutting and polishing that will likely never happen. I guess rockhounding is an excersise in exploring for us and the thrill of the hunt in wild places. The big difference between rockhounding and deer hunting is you can eat the deer but rock soup  - not so much...
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(07-06-2024, 02:06 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Great question. Like most rockhounders I have a few display areas in my house for my favorite finds. Some are rare or high quality and some are just related to fond memories. And like most rockhounders I have boxes stored of all the others that I have great plans for projects like cutting and polishing that will likely never happen. I guess rockhounding is an excersise in exploring for us and the thrill of the hunt in wild places. The big difference between rockhounding and deer hunting is you can eat the deer but rock soup  - not so much...

Have you ever looked for those green rocks they have in Southern Utah?  Sorry, not sure what they are called.
(07-06-2024, 02:20 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(07-06-2024, 02:06 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Great question. Like most rockhounders I have a few display areas in my house for my favorite finds. Some are rare or high quality and some are just related to fond memories. And like most rockhounders I have boxes stored of all the others that I have great plans for projects like cutting and polishing that will likely never happen. I guess rockhounding is an excersise in exploring for us and the thrill of the hunt in wild places. The big difference between rockhounding and deer hunting is you can eat the deer but rock soup  - not so much...

Have you ever looked for those green rocks they have in Southern Utah?  Sorry, not sure what they are called.
I have chased a number of copper bearing  rocks which often have a green coloration but I don't think that is what you are referring to.
(07-06-2024, 09:27 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote:
(07-06-2024, 02:20 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

I have chased a number of copper bearing  rocks which often have a green coloration but I don't think that is what you are referring to.
No, I don't think this has anything to do with copper. My neighbor has a rock garden with this rock in it, I'll take a pic of one, so you can get an idea what I'm talking about.