Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer creek 7/8
Had a wild hair to hit deer creek for some bass yesterday. Typical deer creek for me isn’t real successful, I don’t fancy trolling unless it’s lunch time or everything else fails me . (It’s an adhd issue). That said smacking the shorelines for some bass sounded fun so we gave it a go. Launched at 5 pm went up the walsburg arm and found some bass pretty quick. Swims, Ned’s, wacky, and Yamamoto bowling pins all had action. Swims dominated. Ended with 25 or so, couple walleye and blue gill in the mix too. Nothing was very big, Zach had one up to the boat that I’m guessing would’ve been 1.25lbs and that was the biggest of the day but it wiggled off at the boat. 
Definitely my best deer creek day, also first time targeting the bass there. Water was mid 70s and stained. White and bright colors worked well!
Can't remember anyone posting about catching a gill there. Nice. Did ya have say trouble with the jet ski crews
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Thanks for the report, sounds like a great day on the lake. How big were the eyes?
(07-10-2024, 12:44 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Can't remember anyone posting about catching a gill there. Nice. Did ya have say trouble with the jet ski crews
There have been lots of green sunfish in Deer Creek...going back a lot of years.  But not many bluegills.  I have only caught a couple.
[Image: BLUEGILL.jpg]
A buddy and I pitched jigs at DC last night from 6-8pm trying for a Walleye but only got Smallies.
Right at 8:05pm we started trolling a Lucky Craft and a chartreuse crawler harness and netted 8 or 9 Bows and missed maybe 3 hits.
We pulled lines exactly at 9 pm but it was excellent fishing for Bows for that 55 min, we hardly even got a chance to sit and enjoy the night.
We should have fished until 9:30 because I hovered at the docks for almost 30 minutes to pull my boat while he waited in line.
Why do surfboats think the big State ramp can only load 3 boats, sometimes only 2, at a time?
And if the State wants to pad their coffers, get out there and ticket late night skiers and boats with no lights!
They are not that hard to catch!!
I support a boat operators license requirement IF ramp etiquette is the Main focus.
Is everybody’s mind wobbling like mine that we have an atv operators certificate requirement but 16 yr olds in Daddy’s 500 hp surfboat with a twirling set of sharp blades in the back can operate with zero training???
(07-10-2024, 12:44 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Can't remember anyone posting about catching a gill there. Nice. Did ya have say trouble with the jet ski crews

Seemed like the boaters and jet skis weren’t a big deal in the walsburg are but things were churned up good over toward the dam from them.

(07-10-2024, 04:58 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the report, sounds like a great day on the lake. How big were the eyes?

Nothing real big, prob 1lb ish.

(07-10-2024, 06:55 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
There have been lots of green sunfish in Deer Creek...going back a lot of years.  But not many bluegills.  I have only caught a couple.

Def could’ve been a green sunfish I’m no expert, but I’ve caught the same ones down on Powell and I always call them gills
(07-16-2024, 02:54 PM)Fubarfishin Wrote:

Seemed like the boaters and jet skis weren’t a big deal in the walsburg are but things were churned up good over toward the dam from them.

(07-10-2024, 04:58 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the report, sounds like a great day on the lake. How big were the eyes?

Def could’ve been a green sunfish I’m no expert, but I’ve caught the same ones down on Powell and I always call them gills
Most of Utah's waters that have bluegills have green sunfish...and vice versa.  But after you have caught both for comparison it is easy to tell the difference.  Greenies have a bigger mouth and usually some blue spots or flakes on their body.  Here are a couple of pics of greenies for comparison.
[Image: DEER-CREEK-GREEN-SUNFISH.jpg] [Image: LIL-GREENIE.jpg]

I once had a guy wanna go fist city with me at Pineview when he called one of my green sunfish a "rock bass" and I politely corrected him.
(07-16-2024, 02:54 PM)Fubarfishin Wrote:

Lake Powell is further sunfish-complicated with the addition of Redear Sunfish (aka Shellcrackers) to help eat the mussels.
"We fish for pleasure... I for Mine, you for yours."  -James Leisenring
(07-16-2024, 06:33 PM)Joe_Dizzy Wrote:
(07-16-2024, 02:54 PM)Fubarfishin Wrote: [quote pid="1155869" dateline="1720637728"]

Lake Powell is further sunfish-complicated with the addition of Redear Sunfish (aka Shellcrackers) to help eat the mussels.
[/quote]
That was a good move.  Redears don't school up like bluegills.  They are more solitary.  But they do eat those mussels and have done a good job in Lake Havasu...on the lower Colorado River.  They get over 5 pounds there.  
I used to catch them in a couple of lakes near where I lived in Tucson.  Scrappy little buggers.  Good eating too, as are all members of the panfish family.

[Image: REDEAR.jpg]
I think we needs lots more of them.
(07-16-2024, 07:20 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(07-16-2024, 06:33 PM)Joe_Dizzy Wrote:
(07-16-2024, 02:54 PM)Fubarfishin Wrote: [quote pid="1155869" dateline="1720637728"]

That was a good move.  Redears don't school up like bluegills.  They are more solitary.  But they do eat those mussels and have done a good job in Lake Havasu...on the lower Colorado River.  They get over 5 pounds there.  
I used to catch them in a couple of lakes near where I lived in Tucson.  Scrappy little buggers.  Good eating too, as are all members of the panfish family.

[Image: REDEAR.jpg]
[/quote]
Wait…..what…?
Is it official Crackers were introduced to LP?
I thought that move was still under an Environmental Impact study of some type?
Anyone have official reports, stocking numbers, etc?
P.S. I pray it is true!!