Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minersville
Have not seen anybody post anything on Minersville in a while. For me trout have fished pretty good all spring and summer. Most are 16 to 18 with a few 20s.

Smallmouth are still abundant,, mostly small, but an occasional 3 to 4 pounder.

Large mouth are still present, but I have not done much good on any big ones.

Only caught a couple of incidental Wipers this summer.

Water level is at 50 percent right now,, so it should make it through no problem.

Minersville typically has no inflow half of the spring and all summer, so as the water drops in such shallow water the Trout are leaving the lake in a steady stream all summer.

That is why I think they should stock way more trout in Minersville for a couple of years after a die off like a couple of years ago. There is more than enough forage to do so.

On the up side of that scenario, I can go down and catch a limit of trout for the table in the big hole below the dam anytime I want. Although you have to wade through a lot of pesky small bass to get you a trout.

[Image: IMG-5265.jpg]

[Image: IMG-5269.jpg]

[Image: IMG-5279.jpg]
Great update. Txs
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
You’ve got some pigs in those photos!
"Minersville typically has no inflow half of the spring and all summer, so as the water drops in such shallow water the Trout are leaving the lake in a steady stream all summer."

Are the trout going out the dam?
Ye, Minersville being so shallow with no inflow all summer a lot of fish go out the dam.

This will show what is happing today and most every day all summer.
[Image: IMG-5322.png]
When I was a teenager, (yes, it has been a few years) the water got really low in Otter Creek Reservoir. I fished the river below the dam and it was like fishing in a fish hatchery for football-shaped rainbows. When I was even younger, I experienced the same thing fishing below Johnson's reservoir.
We fished Minersville on Monday (Labor Day). It was really nice -- very little wind, and only a handful of boats out. Fishing was somewhat slow, as expected -- but my goodness are the fish in great shape!! Those rainbows are just round like a torpedo, and puking up food! It's no wonder fishing is slow, they're just feeding and eating like crazy. Biggest fish of the day was a 21" rainbow -- a big fat slob of a fish! Only 1 of the fish we caught had any sores -- the water level has held really well this year!

We caught fish trolling flies as well as triple teasers. Orange was the best color.
(09-04-2024, 06:28 PM)PBH Wrote: We fished Minersville on Monday (Labor Day).  It was really nice -- very little wind, and only a handful of boats out.  Fishing was somewhat slow, as expected -- but my goodness are the fish in great shape!!  Those rainbows are just round like a torpedo, and puking up food!  It's no wonder fishing is slow, they're just feeding and eating like crazy.  Biggest fish of the day was a 21" rainbow -- a big fat slob of a fish!  Only 1 of the fish we caught had any sores -- the water level has held really well this year!

We caught fish trolling flies as well as triple teasers.  Orange was the best color.

That's encouraging news! Went to ice-off this year, even though I knew better since I was skunked the year before and it has been terrible since the reg changes and low water year...but I went none the less, and was skunked again. Used to rarely go a few minutes without a big bow during ice off, with 50 fish days...but man has that changed. I'll still give it another go this next ice-off. I have too many great ice-off memories there to not give it a go! We camped up there this summer one time and I caught as many smallies and largies as I wanted, just nothing big. Water was super soupy with algae bloom. I may pull the boat up there this fall once the cold temps hit and kill off the bloom and give it a proper go, but again...hard to pass up great fishing at other lakes.