Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Converting a Cannon mag 5 to a mag 10
I've had mag 5's for years now, one on each side of the boat but once I added a third one to my boat I found that was a problem, because they kept getting my gear tangled between the front and back riggers, because the booms were the same size. Ira added a mag 10 boom to his mag 5, to have that longer boom that the mag 10 has and it seemed to solve the problem. I did a little research and found one on line for $61.94, which included shipping, just finished installing the longer boom, so we will see how it works the next time I get out in my boat. I'm not sure if that is the only difference between a Cannon mag 5 and mag 10 but as long as it works I guess that's what matters. Have any of you ever done this upgrade to your mag 5? If so, how did it work for you?
IOne bolt and your new mag 10 boom and you are done.
(08-25-2024, 10:24 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I've had mag 5's for years now, one on each side of the boat but once I added a third one to my boat I found that was a problem, because they kept getting my gear tangled between the front and back riggers, because the booms were the same size. Ira added a mag 10 boom to his mag 5, to have that longer boom that the mag 10 has and it seemed to solve the problem. I did a little research and found one on line for $61.94, which included shipping, just finished installing the longer boom, so we will see how it works the next time I get out in my boat. I'm not sure if that is the only difference between a Cannon mag 5 and mag 10 but as long as it works I guess that's what matters. Have any of you ever done this upgrade to your mag 5? If so, how did it work for you?

Yes the only difference is the boom, I put one of my older telescoping booms on one of my mag 5 and it works just like it should. Did you add your 3rd down rigger to one of the back corners, and do you have it facing back so that it is at a 90 degrees angle to the one coming off the side, I would link that would solve the problem as well.
(08-26-2024, 02:38 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote:
(08-25-2024, 10:24 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I've had mag 5's for years now, one on each side of the boat but once I added a third one to my boat I found that was a problem, because they kept getting my gear tangled between the front and back riggers, because the booms were the same size. Ira added a mag 10 boom to his mag 5, to have that longer boom that the mag 10 has and it seemed to solve the problem. I did a little research and found one on line for $61.94, which included shipping, just finished installing the longer boom, so we will see how it works the next time I get out in my boat. I'm not sure if that is the only difference between a Cannon mag 5 and mag 10 but as long as it works I guess that's what matters. Have any of you ever done this upgrade to your mag 5? If so, how did it work for you?

Yes the only difference is the boom, I put one of my older telescoping booms on one of my mag 5 and it works just like it should. Did you add your 3rd down rigger to one of the back corners, and do you have it facing back so that it is at a 90 degrees angle to the one coming off the side, I would link that would solve the problem as well.

Yes, that's exactly what I did but they still snagged each other. I have one of the older style Cannon downriggers, but the boom is a different dia. Guess I should have taken it apart to check but it did not look like it would work.
(08-26-2024, 02:38 AM)obifishkenobi Wrote:

I actually had two, one screw for the end that holds the wheel and one where it mounts to the DRer frame but it was pretty easy. There was also that ring that goes around the boom, where you hook the cable clip to, when not being used.
You could also bend the weight fin on front rigger of the two on the same side so it planes further away from the boat.
I use 4 Walker DR's, none of which are telescopic. They are all sectional solid aluminum booms which I'm able to modify the front 2 to extend 4' out to the side and the back 2 are 3' to reach over the back of offshore bracket. Tangles are common with each other. MrShane has made 1 point adjusting the weight fin. Another is you cannot make tight turns which need to be wide like you see on the back of semi vans "this vehicle makes wide turns". In this case you need "this vessel makes wide turns" sign.  Rolleyes Also, keeping DR's at different depths helps. Some lures will track erratically too creating an issue of tangles. Watch for windy conditions, a gust will catch you off guard as we all have been blown around especially 180° creating a super mess. How many times have you snagged a lure or another downrigger from another boat passing nearby going in the opposite direction? This usually happens when either you or the other boat makes a turn after passing each other to soon crossing over one another's trail.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
The main differences are these: the MAG 10 comes with an extendable boom and a swivel base.  Other than that, they are the same.  I run two MAG 5s straight off the back corners and two MAG 10s about 3 feet forward of the MAG 5s and run perpendicular to the boat sides.  That places the lures about 5 feet apart front to back, so I usually run the MAG 10s setback about 5 feet longer. I also keep setbacks equal on all DRs.  Tangles do occasionally happen but are rare.  DO NOT make sharp turns running all DRs at once.  ?

I also developed a problem with the locking rings that secure the extension tubes to the point that they would no longer securely keep the booms from collapsing while extended in use.  So, I set the booms to full extension and put a screw through the boom and its locking rings to keep them fully extended 100% of the time.  I also use the Cannon locks that keep them almost theft proof and will not allow them to vibrate loose while transporting the boat to and from the lake of choice.  Many folks prefer to remove them from the boat to transport; I never do and have never lost one while using the Cannon locks.

Any more questions, you have my number.  ?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Instead of running 4 downriggers, you could easily stack 2 of them on one rigger with a stacker release. Or, as I do I use a a Shuttle Hawk with really simplifies things. If you get a hit/fish on the Shuttle Hawk, it releases and come to the surface without having to bring up you other rod. Then you can easily reset it. However, I guess some guys like to run 8 rods off 4 downriggers, so then I can see adding the extra downriggers. Also, Dipsy Divers work well when fish are 40' or less below the surface. Personally, I think running 4 downriggers off a small boat (< 20') is a whole lot more complicated than just stacking/Shuttle Hawk options.