Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Humbling
Went out with my brother-in -law yesterday to fish Willard for cats.  Knew it was Labor Day and went anyway.  We should have gone to Utah Lake which was also on our radar.  At least we could have gotten away from the power squadron that showed up in droves by 10am!  I’ve got to believe that is why the fish were hunkered down and unwilling to commit to anything.  Hit the Pelican Beach and Light Pole areas with fligs tipped with chub meat (Thx Obi!) and worms and the trolled cranks for 30 mins or so heading back to the south marina.  We landed one foot-long cat for our efforts.  No other bites either.  We marked tons of fish, they just weren’t interested.

Lesson learned (again).  Stay away from fishing on holidays.  The parking lot was full when we left at 2:30pm!
I went Saturday afternoon with the same results except we got one small mouth had a couple interested in my top water but that was it.
Sorry you had a bad experience.  Probably should have expected it...being the "last hurrah" holiday, etc.  Bad enough on weekends.  That's why I take full advantage of my "7 day weekends" and only fish during the week.  Hate to have to compete with all the wackos and amateurs.  Once the water cools a few degrees the wimps will thin out and even some weekends will be fishable.
(09-03-2024, 01:26 PM)MWScott72 Wrote: Went out with my brother-in -law yesterday to fish Willard for cats.  Knew it was Labor Day and went anyway.  We should have gone to Utah Lake which was also on our radar.  At least we could have gotten away from the power squadron that showed up in droves by 10am!  I’ve got to believe that is why the fish were hunkered down and unwilling to commit to anything.  Hit the Pelican Beach and Light Pole areas with fligs tipped with chub meat (Thx Obi!) and worms and the trolled cranks for 30 mins or so heading back to the south marina.  We landed one foot-long cat for our efforts.  No other bites either.  We marked tons of fish, they just weren’t interested.

Lesson learned (again).  Stay away from fishing on holidays.  The parking lot was full when we left at 2:30pm!

Bummer on the fishing, I'm hopeful that we will have better luck when we give it a go in few weeks.
Sorry your day wasn't meant to be. The temptation of wanting to enjoy a day on the water will always be there. My working life limited me to those weekends & holidays too but as bad as it was for me back when is nothing compared to today's power squadrons. Even sometimes a good day away from the crowd can have one diehard on the water like a bad mosquito buzzing the area. Now the opposite is having been reversed with retirement picking days I go and avoiding those heavy vacation dates of others too.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF