Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biggest Yet
Drew my dedicated hunter this year, put cameras out on my usual places, got a couple good bucks and lots of elk,  had to take them down by the end of July, but got to see them feeding down in the canyon plus a couple more,  opening weekend jumped one at 40yds, just seen horns bouncing through the trees, need to keep my eyes open better, on Monday I found him with 4 other bucks, made the plan and got to 75 yds, he was strait away and while trying to get in a bit more closer for a shot, the smallest one just wouldn't give it up that he seen me. off they all go, 

Made it up on the mountain Friday with enough time to go look and take a little walk, it started to down poor, only ended up with squishy feet, 

Saturday I decided to make a big walk down and up around back to the wheeler with better boots,  wet grass and very windy made sneaking good, just got to keep my eyes open,  went down low and back up to the top of the ridge edge, working along the edge looking down in the trees, popped around a big quaky and there he is at 40yds feeding, trying to range through the brush and a clear shot he walked away down past a smaller buck laying down, could just see the tops of his horns, not knowing which way he was facing I scooted along the ground try to see and get a shot, the buck feed down then tuned up then over to the bedded buck, kicked him out of his bed, kinda mean like, the smaller 4 went about 5 yds and layed back down,  I ranged him at 39,  the big one, walked a bit, I could see his horn tips in the shooting ally,  peaked around the other side of the tree, wide open shot, stood up and sent one down to him, looked good. as he run down I could see the arrow and blood on his side and he disappeared down through the trees, I did good by marking where I shot from, marking the first blood, tracked for about 30 yds, had good blood easy tracking, stopped calmed down a bit, had an apple, after about 20 minutes I wanted to get to the little draw about 50 yds, found a good log to sit on and glass across, couldn't see him, about 30 minutes went by, I could see the next blood, went about 10 yds, no more blood where it should be, got real scared all the thots of loosing him, back tracking looking and finally got to see them poking up, thankfully,  sat on the log for that long 15 yds away from him.

[Image: 20240824-123735.jpg]

[Image: 20240824-124059.jpg]

[Image: 20240824-124319.jpg]

[Image: 20240824-125621.jpg]
26 wide, 25 tall,  8 to 11 inch tines,  took him  to a taxidermist to get the velvet cured, he is calling a 190 buck, not sure Ill find out in about a month, biggest yet.

Maybe I can get some fall fishing in now.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Congrats on getting such a fine buck.
Congratulations on a great buck.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
And my second wow of the day for a great buck and story
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Very nice buck congrats
Great buck! Congrats!
Well Done sir! Congrats on a very respectful buck. Thanks for the story to help us all appreciate your trip.
I to have had a great hunt to remember. I would incourage you to make a great detailed written story of the day. In a few years it will become important to you and something you can share with family members. Include pictures.
I'll share my remembered hunt ten years ago.

[Image: 17258221983494027595489453928973.jpg]
Very Nice buck, Congratulations Smile
Thanks everyone, its gona be hard to find one bigger than him on my 2nd year of dedicated, there a few I know of that should be next year if they make through the rest of the year and winter,

[Image: IMG-20240829-083425.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20240828-113149.jpg]

[Image: I-01954-1.jpg]

[Image: I-02003-1.jpg]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Great story and hunt, congrats that is sure a great buck and taking it with a bow is way more impressive, very well done... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!