Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite rod holder? Cradle or tube?
I need a couple of rod holders for the new boat.  It’s a 19 foot aluminum Vexus. I have one old Scotty cradle with the rubber strap.  I see there is a cradle type that has a locking ring.  There are also rocket launcher tube style rod holders.  Plastic, aluminum, solid gold with diamonds…. I’m mounting it on a Cisco track. I’m not much of a troller now but I’ll do what catches fish at the time.  Heading to Powell in October so I may troll there for stripers or walleye.  I don’t have a down rigger at the moment if that matters. The Cisco holders look nice but holy cow they are pricey.  Any suggestions are appreciated.
I have these that you are welcome to have. I live in Brigham. I upgraded to steel holders because Kent gave me sturgeon fever years ago. When a300+lb. fish puts a 90* side pull , the composite ones are not enough. Two rods overboard learning curve.
Fish-On =4 holders and 3 mounts. Cabelas' Quickdraw =3 tubes(2 modified) and 2 mounts(similar to Scotty mounts). 

[Image: IMG-2840.jpg]

[Image: IMG-2841.jpg]

[Image: IMG-2842.jpg]

[Image: IMG-2843.jpg]

Oh yeah. As the cut away part on the 2 quickdraw tubes shows that I prefer the craddle.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
My boat came with 3 Folbe rod holders, I sold the Scotty holders I use to have. I like the Folbe for the way they open to cradle the rod & close to prevent rod from being yanked out. There is a locking knob to lock cradle down. These are pricey!

Amazon.com: Folbe F080 - Advantage Extended Fishing Rod Holder - Side Mount : Sports & Outdoors

[Image: Folbe-Rod-Holder-1.jpg]

[Image: Folbe-Rod-Holder-2.jpg]

[Image: Folbe-Rod-Holder-3.jpg]
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
I've used them all on my boat and have settled on the RAM mounts.  Easy to use, has a rod lock function, and is compatible with almost all reel types.  I've never lost a rod/reel or had a RAM holder break.  Solid product with lots of mounting options.

[Image: RAM-Mount.jpg]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 82 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."