Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordy again
A work buddy and I took another trip to Jordy this weekend to enjoy the nice weather.  Started trolling about 8am at 48 degrees and water temp around 65.   The trout weren't very hungry, but the pesky miniature smallies were out in force again today.  We managed to pick up a few nice cookie cutter bows between 15-16" but my buddy wanted to try to throw spinners for smallies.  So we casted hoping to find a fish that could give a decent fight but only managed to catch a metric shload of 6-8" juniors.  Where are the bigger guys?  There has to be some in there somewhere....
As we were working around the lake we came up on a very large, very dead kokanee.  Not sure if it would already be spawned out or dead from other causes but Im guessing it would have come in about 4 pounds.  The dump chickens hadnt found it yet, but Im sure it will be eaten soon.
Some of the colors in the deeper canyons have started to show up, in a week or two it will be gorgeous up there.
[Image: 1.jpg]

[Image: 5.jpg]

[Image: 2.jpg]

[Image: 6.jpg]

[Image: 3.jpg]

[Image: 7.jpg]
Thanks for the report and pics
My guess is someone caught that red koke, and in it's end of life state, it just did not survive the catch and release. How far, from where the stream enters the lake, did you see that dead koke? Glad it turned out a decent day for you two. My theory on why no big bass, those smaller ones are more numerous and they are just faster to the lure
(09-18-2024, 04:47 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the report and pics
My guess is someone caught that red koke, and in it's end of life state, it just did not survive the catch and release. How far, from where the stream enters the lake, did you see that dead koke? Glad it turned out a decent day for you two. My theory on why no big bass, those smaller ones are more numerous and they are just faster to the lure

welcome! happy to share.    That's a good theory and would make sense to me, it was west of the hailstone arm bouys a couple hundred yards and was missing it's eyes so hard to know for sure but we didnt see any others so could be a bycatch fatality for sure.  

There will be a bumper crop of smallies in a few years, hopefully they arent so numerous that they stunt. We worked that canyone shoreline for a while and were getting them on rooster tails on nearly every cast.  still fun to chase those mini tugs when the trout were liplocked!
Both Echo and East Canyon are loaded with "dinkymouths" too. You can catch a bunch, but they aren't what we're looking for.