Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kokanee Salmon spawn?
Are the kokanee salmon running in the Strawberry River yet or is it still a little early? My wife and her parents have never seen them so I want to show them next weekend. I just want them to see good amount of the red kokes in there. Very cool sight to see. Would there be a lot by next weekend or should I wait a couple weeks?
(09-07-2024, 05:57 PM)Fishpro22 Wrote: Are the kokanee salmon running in the Strawberry River yet or is it still a little early? My wife and her parents have never seen them so I want to show them next weekend. I just want them to see good amount of the red kokes in there. Very cool sight to see. Would there be a lot by next weekend or should I wait a couple weeks?
 Seems a little early to see many red kokes, running up the stream but there could be some there. IMO it will be another week or two but it changes every year. They usually talk about it on KSL but I'm sure there is someone on BFTl that will have a better idea when it will be getting close.
(09-07-2024, 05:57 PM)Fishpro22 Wrote: Are the kokanee salmon running in the Strawberry River yet or is it still a little early? My wife and her parents have never seen them so I want to show them next weekend. I just want them to see good amount of the red kokes in there. Very cool sight to see. Would there be a lot by next weekend or should I wait a couple weeks?

I found this.  Call them.  https://casago.com/heber-city/things-to-...rs-center/
I took a trip there 5yrs ago 9-19-2019 and the spawn was in full swing. Its was spectacular to see. 

[Image: P9210001.jpg]

[Image: IMG-0673.jpg]

[Image: IMG-0674.jpg]
9-19-2019
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
I went by there today. I stopped on the road on the way out and didn't see one fish in the stream. The fishing was very slow for us today. We started at 7:30 and left at 11.
Thanks everyone for your responses. We are deciding to wait a few weeks to check it out.
I just saw a Facebook post that said

"If anyone is interested in viewing the egg taking fertilization process for Kokanee at the fish trap, they will be doing so on Mondays and Thursdays from 9:00am to 12:00PM. beginning on Monday September 16th. through the 1st. of October."
The Kokanee are in full swing at Causey if you want to see them there. This was on Saturday.
[Image: IMG-0628.jpg]
(09-11-2024, 11:09 PM)Troutster Wrote: The Kokanee are in full swing at Causey if you want to see them there. This was on Saturday.

Did you hike into the back of the lake to see them? Or did you see them by the boy scout camp?
(09-12-2024, 02:27 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(09-11-2024, 11:09 PM)Troutster Wrote: The Kokanee are in full swing at Causey if you want to see them there. This was on Saturday.

Did you hike into the back of the lake to see them? Or did you see them by the boy scout camp?

We took our paddle boards to both the Left and Right Fork of the Ogden River and they were in both.  You can hike the Skull Crack trail, it goes to the Right Fork and you can see the Kokanee there.  It is 4.7 miles round trip.  There is a fair amount of sun exposure so go early or late in the day. I have never been to the scout camp arm.
Live Cam on Youtube...

https://www.youtube.com/live/CU_Wd4sdDYA...JP92KJYvRK
I took the family there yesterday. Only a few in the river from the bridge along the boardwalk up to the egg harvesting building. The DWR was there doing their thing. I overheard the biologist estimated around 1000 were in the concrete raceways. Plenty to be admired, just not many in their natural environment.