Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rub-A-Dub-Dub...Willard 9-20-24
Yeah.  3 men in a tub.  Or in this case Obi’s fine boat.  Obi, Brookie and myself joined up to launch at the south marina by 7ish.  After they raided my flig stash we blasted off for the Pelican Beach area where Obi has been doing well.  But when we got there he discovered he had forgotten something…the plug in the boat.  Blasted back to the south marina, trailered the boat, got the plug in and started over.
            Water temps were down just below 65 and water was a bit stained after the weather situations and dropping temps of the past week.  So the fish in Obi’s hot spot had either moved or developed lockjaw.  We got one nice perch and a small teen-incher kitty.  And, although we were rigged for and expectant of seeing some wipers boiling we saw nary a one all day.
[Image: SOLO-PERCH.jpg]

After an hour of not much we moved over to my “kitty condo” out off Eagle Beach.  Not much there either.  I think we got a couple of cats in the 20 inch range.  Gradually worked our way over closer to the north dike.  Still lotsa nuttin’.
            Since I have a midday cutoff curfew…between personal medical stuff and caregiver responsibilities for my wife…we moved back closer to the south marina a bit before 11.  I suggested working a shallower area where I have done well on my last two trips…in 12 to 15 FOW.  Don’t know whether it was the new spot or the warming water on that nice sunny morning but the cats were there and came out to play. 
[Image: TEAMWORK.jpg] [Image: GOTCHA.jpg]

We probably caught about a dozen between us over the next hour plus.  But none of us were keeping fish so they all went back in.  I had brought along some of my newest flig designs…without tails.  Some on a new stronger hook and others rigged with wires…like a whirly flig but without the little blades.  They both produced for all of us.  Best colors were blue-silver, pink-silver, and “pistachio”…chartreuse with red spots. 
[Image: BLUE-SILVER.jpg] [Image: PINK-SILVER.jpg]

I got 5 or 6 fish…all over 20 inches…with two solid “2-footers”.  Obi brung in the biggest with a 25 incher.  Brookie had never fished for these cats before and got a few…remarking on how well they fought.  We all acknowledged that they definitely out-punched most silly trout…especially Strawberry cutties.
[Image: SKIPPER-S-25.jpg]

Back at the ramp I provided the last entertainment of the day with my inelegant exit from the boat…ending up sprawled on the dock.  Old age, a day of getting up and down from the seat to take care of fish, rigging, etc. had wiped me out.  My left foot caught on the edge of the boat and I took a dive.  Only thing hurt was my pride.  But I couldn’t convince the other guys I was just practicing my moves so I could be in the ballet “Swine Lake”.
            Thanks Obi and Brookie for an enjoyable day on the water.  And also thanks for helping be get up after my failed ballet move.
(09-21-2024, 12:42 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Yeah.  3 men in a tub.  Or in this case Obi’s fine boat.  Obi, Brookie and myself joined up to launch at the south marina by 7ish.  After they raided my flig stash we blasted off for the Pelican Beach area where Obi has been doing well.  But when we got there he discovered he had forgotten something…the plug in the boat.  Blasted back to the south marina, trailered the boat, got the plug in and started over.
            Water temps were down just below 65 and water was a bit stained after the weather situations and dropping temps of the past week.  So the fish in Obi’s hot spot had either moved or developed lockjaw.  We got one nice perch and a small teen-incher kitty.  And, although we were rigged for and expectant of seeing some wipers boiling we saw nary a one all day.

After an hour of not much we moved over to my “kitty condo” out off Eagle Beach.  Not much there either.  I think we got a couple of cats in the 20 inch range.  Gradually worked our way over closer to the north dike.  Still lotsa nuttin’.
            Since I have a midday cutoff curfew…between personal medical stuff and caregiver responsibilities for my wife…we moved back closer to the south marina a bit before 11.  I suggested working a shallower area where I have done well on my last two trips…in 12 to 15 FOW.  Don’t know whether it was the new spot or the warming water on that nice sunny morning but the cats were there and came out to play. 

We probably caught about a dozen between us over the next hour plus.  But none of us were keeping fish so they all went back in.  I had brought along some of my newest flig designs…without tails.  Some on a new stronger hook and others rigged with wires…like a whirly flig but without the little blades.  They both produced for all of us.  Best colors were blue-silver, pink-silver, and “pistachio”…chartreuse with red spots. 

I got 5 or 6 fish…all over 20 inches…with two solid “2-footers”.  Obi brung in the biggest with a 25 incher.  Brookie had never fished for these cats before and got a few…remarking on how well they fought.  We all acknowledged that they definitely out-punched most silly trout…especially Strawberry cutties.

Back at the ramp I provided the last entertainment of the day with my inelegant exit from the boat…ending up sprawled on the dock.  Old age, a day of getting up and down from the seat to take care of fish, rigging, etc. had wiped me out.  My left foot caught on the edge of the boat and I took a dive.  Only thing hurt was my pride.  But I couldn’t convince the other guys I was just practicing my moves so I could be in the ballet “Swine Lake”.
            Thanks Obi and Brookie for an enjoyable day on the water.  And also thanks for helping be get up after my failed ballet move.

Sorry to hear about your trip and fall Pat, glad there was no serious damage. Sounds like you three did almost as good as Alan, Ira and myself. Funny you did not find any active cats biting there by the North dike but maybe they had sore lips from the beating they took while we were there the day before. Were you using chub minnows or cut up chub?
(09-21-2024, 01:25 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Sorry to hear about your trip and fall Pat, glad there was no serious damage. Sounds like you three did almost as good as Alan, Ira and myself. Funny you did not find any active cats biting there by the North dike but maybe they had sore lips from the beating they took while we were there the day before. Were you using chub minnows or cut up chub?
The other "two musketeers" were both using cut pieces from a larger chub.  I was using my small (2-3") left-handed blue-eyed chub minnows...whole.  Both worked when we found active fish.  

As we have all found out, yesterday's success is no guarantee of anything the day after.  Always a good plan to start where you had success before...using the same tactics, techniques, bait and/or lures.  But...especially in Willard...fish move around and change attitudes quickly and often.  So you always gotta be prepared with plans, B, C, D and on and on.  Helps to have a lot of background experience over a wide range of conditions to at least suggest a place to start if your first choice doesn't work out.  As we have also found...gratefully...there are almost always some kind of fish biting somewhere in Willard...on something.  Can't count the number of times I was smelling the striped kitty toward the end of a long day and then suddenly get busy at the last spot I planned to try before heading home with a whimper.
Definitely a slow start but the company was good and we did eventually get busy. Thank you Pat for the custom Rod I will put it to good use. I’m looking I forward to our next trip in a couple weeks.
I have met the 'legend' at a floatilla, even been in the tackletorium, but have never fished before with Pat. It was great to see the master work his magic on the kitties. Also thanks to Shawn for the invite. I'm not much of a Willard boy, as it's a little out of my normal range, but when I get a chance to fish with the experts on that water, it's always a pleasure. Great trip.
(09-21-2024, 12:42 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Yeah.  3 men in a tub.  Or in this case Obi’s fine boat.  Obi, Brookie and myself joined up to launch at the south marina by 7ish.  After they raided my flig stash we blasted off for the Pelican Beach area where Obi has been doing well.  But when we got there he discovered he had forgotten something…the plug in the boat.  Blasted back to the south marina, trailered the boat, got the plug in and started over.

Many years of fishing experience on that boat. I appreciate each one of you gentlemen for the help you have given me.
(09-21-2024, 11:51 PM)Redrebel Wrote: Many years of fishing experience on that boat. I appreciate each one of you gentlemen for the help you have given me.

We may have a few years on you, but you have shown that you are an accomplished angler...and getting better.  What's more is that you are a perpetual "student"...seeking new knowledge and integrating it into your own angling repertoire.  I am sure you have already passed along good helpful info to others and will continue to do so well into the future.  As I mentioned on your last visit, there comes a time when a "seasoned" fisherman can derive as much or more enjoys from helping others catch fish as from catching them himself.  That's when you become a "Jedi" angler.
Pat,

“The bigger they are, the harder they fall”.
Us bigger guys can get pretty busted up when we go down.
I bet you are feeling if today?
Got my boat prepped for Perch Jerkin yesterday.
Downriggers off, Salmon poles out of the box, and my two favorite Perch poles ready to dance.
I hope you recover quickly!

Shane
(09-22-2024, 02:23 PM)MrShane Wrote: Pat,

Downriggers off, Salmon poles out of the box, and my two favorite Perch poles ready to dance.

Shane
Thanks...for the sympathy and well wishes.  No real damage on the "controlled crash".  A skinned spot on the back of one hand...from the reels...and a sore knee from a one-point landing.  But I've had worse.  

I'm codgertatin' about tubing Deer Creek next week and then focusing on the "yellow tigers" of Willard the remainder of the year.   Would be glad to join you in your boat for a personal intro to some of those bigguns.  No downriggers needed but your spotlock can come in handy.
(09-22-2024, 03:04 PM)TubeDude Wrote:

Shane
Thanks...for the sympathy and well wishes.  No real damage on the "controlled crash".  A skinned spot on the back of one hand...from the reels...and a sore knee from a one-point landing.  But I've had worse.  

I'm codgertatin' about tubing Deer Creek next week and then focusing on the "yellow tigers" of Willard the remainder of the year.   Would be glad to join you in your boat for a personal intro to some of those bigguns.  No downriggers needed but your spotlock can come in handy.
At least you have an extra hand if you skin the other up. Haha
You bet I am excited to take you up there this year.
Give me a week or two notice as you feel the time is upon us and I will hook up my boat and pick you up!
Thanks Pat,
Shane
Glad you three had a successful outing. Sorry you took a tumble Pat, luckily tough old birds are hard to take out. Sounds like I need to visit the scene of the crime and scavenge around if any trinkets may have been lost in the in the process.
Sorry to hear about your mishap and hope your knee doesn't give you any problems. I'm not steady on my feet anymore (I'm 79) and when I get out of my boat at wedge docks, on all fours, it's a struggle to get up on two legs. I need to carry a pole to help myself get up. Also climbing up boat ramps seems to be getting longer and longer. Getting old isn't for sissies. Smile
(09-22-2024, 05:09 PM)MrShane Wrote:

Shane

At least you have an extra hand if you skin the other up. Haha
You bet I am excited to take you up there this year.
Give me a week or two notice as you feel the time is upon us and I will hook up my boat and pick you up!
Thanks Pat,
Shane
You got it.  I'll be posting reports and I'm sure others will too.  So as soon as you feel lucky...and want to try to beat me "single-handed"...have your peeps contact my peeps and we'll make it happen.  The first wave of action usually gets going by the first week or so of October.  But all-out best perchin' is around the middle of November.  My best day ever was while fishing all alone on Thanksgiving a couple of years ago.  But every year can be different.

(09-22-2024, 07:28 PM)EyLayo Wrote: Glad you three had a successful outing. Sorry you took a tumble Pat, luckily tough old birds are hard to take out. Sounds like I need to visit the scene of the crime and scavenge around if any trinkets may have been lost in the in the process.
Doubt you'll find much.  I picked up all the body parts and scattered debris.  But if you get down this way I got some new stuff that is working well.  The old fave tailed fligs still catch a lot of fish, but the hooks are fine wire and catfish are not kind to them.  So I have been making some slightly larger tailless fligs...both with 2X strong hooks built in and some wired ones with articulated hooks...kinda like the whirly fligs but without the blade.  And a third model is the "dropback" with a short length of wire between the foam body and the hook...like Hali Jigs and Snare Spoons.   All have been catching fish and they don't wimp out when chomped by nasty catfish.
[Image: TAILLESS-FLIGS.jpg] [Image: TAILLESS-WIRED.jpg]  [Image: TAILLESS-DROPBACK.jpg]

(09-22-2024, 07:59 PM)lovetofish Wrote: Sorry to hear about your mishap and hope your knee doesn't give you any problems. I'm not steady on my feet anymore (I'm 79) and when I get out of my boat at wedge docks, on all fours, it's a struggle to get up on two legs. I need to carry a pole to help myself get up. Also climbing up boat ramps seems to be getting longer and longer. Getting old isn't for sissies. Smile
My knee is a little sore but mending quickly.  Only thing is I can't kick 50 yard field goals.  But I couldn't before anyway.  

It really is a challenge when your body will no longer cash the checks your brain writes.  We think we're still young enough to keep on doing some of the stuff we used to do...until we try to do it and our body balks.  But, as I keep muttering to myself..."It's hell growing older...but considering the alternative..."

Shane

Pat,
I was just on Deer creek last Saturday. Water temp was 65 and lots of random spots of floating algae and even some areas of the algae sheen. Despite throwing all my usual techniques, all I could get to bite were the slimy rainbow trout. I was in a boat with a friend of mine. We tried many different areas of the lake with many different depths. I caught small planter rainbows and a couple of those bigger bows. I think Deer creek is in the early stages of the turnover. 
Gabe
Sounds like a great day out you guys, thanks for sharing the trip... I've been noticing the fall changes to the water conditions around here as well. Things are a changing and fall is on the way... I finally got my rough electrical done on the garage, so maybe I'm getting closer to joining in on the fall perch fest... I hope so... Pat, hope all is well and no lingering concerns... later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(09-24-2024, 01:43 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Sounds like a great day out you guys, thanks for sharing the trip...  I've been noticing the fall changes to the water conditions around here as well.  Things are a changing and fall is on the way...  I finally got my rough electrical done on the garage, so maybe I'm getting closer to joining in on the fall perch fest... I hope so... Pat, hope all is well and no lingering concerns...  later J
Thanks, Jeff.  No "lingering concerns".  Just some healing dings on the back of my hand, a sore knee and a bruised ego.  Ready to rumble.  

Hope you are able to get your "gotta-dos" done in time to join the perch party.  As I recall you scratched out a few last year.
Yup, I really had fun with those Willard fall festivities... hoping I get to join in before it gets too cold this fall.. Man it was cool outside this morning, going to have to start finding a jacket... I decided to not try a forth crop this year, so my hay is done for 2024, not sure if I'll do any fall work prepping to replant one field that needs it, but if not the farm may be done, so maybe fishing will return after the moose hunt in two weeks... Hoping so for sure... I may need a trip to the tubitorium before then to restock.. Glad you're doing well.. Later jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(09-24-2024, 12:35 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote: Pat,
I was just on Deer creek last Saturday. Water temp was 65 and lots of random spots of floating algae and even some areas of the algae sheen. Despite throwing all my usual techniques, all I could get to bite were the slimy rainbow trout. I was in a boat with a friend of mine. We tried many different areas of the lake with many different depths. I caught small planter rainbows and a couple of those bigger bows. I think Deer creek is in the early stages of the turnover. 
Gabe

Transition...yes.  Turnover...No.  A true turnover does not happen until surface temps drop to about 39 and then that denser and heavier top layer sinks to the bottom...and the lighter, warmer and less oxygenated water rises to the top.  I got a report from a former BFT member who is still a fishing buddy.  He went on Saturday with his brother and a couple of kids.  Same situation.  65 water temps early, rising to almost 70 later.  Trout of multiple sizes active most of the day.  Only a couple of perch, one footlong walleye and several smallies along the rocky western shoreline of the Charleston arm.  Found best action in 15 to 20 feet of water.  

That floating algae makes a grand appearance every year when the water drops to the 65 degree mark.  Some mornings you can see groups of carp swimming along and slurping up the "pea soup".  But it is just the standard green algae...not the toxic blue-green algae that shows up around the edges of some of the more popular swimming spots.  And there are some advisories on the State Parks website for Deer Creek.  DEER CREEK LINK
[Image: ALGAE-PEAS.jpg]

Sounds like a great trip last week guys. I would have replied earlier, but was in the S. Pacific for a week of vacation with family. I did get out one day with a local and we hooked up on a 70 pound yellowtail and a bunch of 5-10 lbs. Bonita. Truth be told, it’s more fun to catch fish out of Obi’s boat. No lie!

Glad you not much worse for wear after the tumble Pat. They say that the difference between a right and wrong note played musically is the confidence with which you play it. Perhaps that translates over to slips, trips and falls too. If you get back up as if nothing happened, you really didn’t fall in the first place!
I guess Pat must be doing better. I saw him doing water aerobic fish therapy in his float tube yesterday on Deer Creek. Glad you are back Pat.